The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > If you could excel at one sport, what would it be ?

If you could excel at one sport, what would it be ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
If you could excel at one sport, one sport only, what would it be, and why ?

At school in the forties and fifties I always played Rugby League in the winter, and Soft Ball and later on, swimming in the summer. On joining the Army I played Rugby League during the winter months in OZ, and anything going, when abroad.

Occasionally when the opportunity arose I boxed, getting an 'enormous amount' of ring experience ('cept Jimmy didn't have a ring ?) with the inimitable and incomparable James (Jimmy) SHARMAN at the Royal Easter Show, Sydney ! Taking my turn at being knocked out and then knocking out all manner of 'former' champions, at Jimmy's 'Pavilion' as he described it ? My only regret, I was never permitted to beat the drum !

On my discharge sanity and maturity finally prevailed and I ultimately found Cricket. I'll not wax lyrically on all the benefits I unearthed from playing the game, I feel sure I'd bore you all senseless with my endless machinations and complexities of the sport. Other than to say it's probably the most demanding game, in terms of personal fitness and concentration that I've ever needed to confront, in playing anything. Anyway, that kind of explains my initial foray into a sport in which I'd dearly love to excel, the game of Cricket.

Now, I'd really like to hear of yours - your preferred sport whether you were good at it or not so good, doesn't matter. What does matter, you thoroughly enjoyed participating, is all that really counts ? A simple, light hearted topic for a holiday respite - before we're once more confronted with another year of war, financial and political inertia, inhumanity to mankind and vicious crime.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 2:01:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good one O sung wu :)
I always wanted to be good at a sport that would make me a lot of money!

As a woman, I think tennis would be good if you were at the top of the heap.
I always played tennis because my father had played at Wimbledon as a youth, and then was a tennis coach while I was growing up.

Instead of all the film stars, I had Bjorne Borg on a poster up on my wall at home as a teenager!
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 10:28:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Skeleton or Luge. They always look like such terrific fun.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 4:51:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mate hard!
How do I separate the NRL and Cricket?
As each are played in different seasons may I be good at both.
Well NRL wins if only one choice.
regards
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 6:21:45 AM
my retort..sporrt?..
sport is a faux war..a nationalist..rort tort.

when..i was young..i PLAYed..sport for free
now some mugs..only PLAY*..for huge fee

now to just PLAY..you..MUSt pay..[ehh?]

look sport..you sound a good sort
but who..watches..the player..instead of REAL news..is being dumbed down..like in/the days of rome..where the fat..pay..to watch the fit

team sport..is a rort sport
that and police reporting..[to induce us into a passive state
[fight or flight reflex]..then the sport junkie adrenalin charge..is simple pavlovian conditioning..[and my pavlovian rresponse is revulsion..cause i know the deviant nationalism..hiding behind it

pluss im peeved..the sports rorts lobby
is so clever..in..getting BILLIONS..to build their stadiums [with their corporate boxes filled with public servants lawyers bankers lobby.money sex drugs and po-lies..

i..dont like cricket
im..over sport sport..sport will be the..death..of us
while were getting titElated..by.,.the spectacle..they stealing you blind..

im so over sports topics
its a HUGE destraction
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 6:44:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
this..is my sport
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=15820&page=0
end the fiat-ized rort..its a great [greater-sport]..sport*

end the real/rort
distracted..from ..by the sport
feigning..to be news..by..[among/other things]..sport

if they could get away..with reporting the fall of the dice
we would just get the rigged 'sports betting odds'..as news]..
with enough money..you can bet on..a no..ball..let it through to/the keeper?

there is bigger issues
its just not news..worthy

two groups of thuggs..bashing each others brains in..
doped upon adrenilinn..then calmed down with rivers of booze sex..glory fame

no..mate..its not a game
no its not..'play'..butthats what the name game is

see if fiat money=debt..[and it is]
then a credit card is really a debit card..and visa versa

lets return the meaning back into the deed
play..is not a wargame..game is not play..if your getting paid/laid/made
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 18 December 2013 7:32:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy