The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Caucus overrules Labor members to install Backstabber Bill

Caucus overrules Labor members to install Backstabber Bill

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
The vote for Bill Shorten (largely along factional lines) narrowly overwhelmed the wishes of the rank and file, giving a result that was pretty much pre-determined. Does the vote mean that the labor members really have a say or that they were involved in a month long pantomime to present a facade of legitimacy?

Given that Bill was deeply involved in the toppling of Rudd and then Gillard, and has little support among the rank and file, will he now be looking over his shoulder for Albo's knife?

Looking broader than Labor, will Bill 'fess up to Labor's errors in the past and go forward with a clean slate, or just try and spin his way out?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 13 October 2013 5:05:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And at his first interview he says "they" believe in global warming, & a carbon tax.

You've got to give it to them, they could find an idiot with their eyes shut.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 13 October 2013 10:22:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Caucus has taken no notice whatsoever of the wishes of Labor's rank and file.

What is it all about if it isn't about the wishes of the public, who in this case are represented by the supporters, the rank and file? There process should allow for some attempt at reaching a consensus through open and transparent consultation with the rank and file.

Thinking dispassionately about it, the caucus has got the choice of leader wrong every time over recent years. That is most likely because how politicians vote depends on what agreements they have made behind closed doors to favour themselves and knobble their competitors. They vote to cater for their ambition.

Shorten is a weak, spineless man who will be putty in the hands of union bosses and anyone else who can influence him.

Australian minister: 'I don't know what the PM said, but I agree' –
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2012/apr/27/australian-minister-video

Labor desperately needed a leader who could relied upon to stand firm on long-held Labor values and traditions that have been trashed by self-seeking, egocentric, careerist politicians like Julia Whatshername and Rudd.

That Caucus has bowled up another of the same means that the rank and file will see more of the same political opportunism and selfish pursuit of material benefits and status rather than commitment to high standards of behaviour. The leadership has shown a lack of principles and ethics, and relentless pursuit of self-interestof the leadership, which includes the (now) shadow ministers over the past decade and more, regrettably.

The splits will continue. They will be cannibalised by their on-again, off-again side-kicks the Greens.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 13 October 2013 10:26:21 PM
So here we go again, the faceless men are alive and kicking.

They have all but spat in the face of their rank and file members, saying, we want your input, but not that it will count.

Some things will never change, but at least we won't see this mob in power again for a long long time.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 14 October 2013 5:34:47 AM
What do we have above 'A Conservative Love Fest' SM gets the ball rolling and then the 3 wise men line up to agree.
When Tony Baloney done the hatchet job on Turnbull, what was the rank and file vote SM? It was what the faceless men of the Collins Street board rooms decided and that was it. Where is the grass roots democracy in the Liberal Party?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 14 October 2013 6:26:10 AM
I see the pure glee in the usual suspects.
And find I have no place to hide.
I agree.
Let us forever forget this change while nice to think our voices are heard, has any truth in it.
Do not forget Shorten will be a Brilliant leader.
But know to the caucus has had its way, it was to see the votes of every 300 members worth that of just one caucus member!
Above all it places the party squarely in the hands not of its membership, but the very faction that bought us to our knees in 2010.
I can pretend it is not so, duck my head and hide my dismay, under the umbrella of solidarity.
My heart is not in it, solidarity is a dark place that avoids truth, and hides crimes against the ALP rank and file.
However if he can mount the mountain of hurt his election brings my party comrades.
If as I think he will, he leads in reforms Bill Shorten by his future actions may yet put his past behind him.
Albo know it is your task to keep our party on its way to truly giving us a say.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 14 October 2013 6:35:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy