The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Climate change is dead, but talk about a bum fight.

Climate change is dead, but talk about a bum fight.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear Hasbeen,

Just a reminder that in Australia in 2006, leading
climatologists with the country's pre-eminent
public research organisation, CSIRO, were forbidden by
the organisation's management from publicly discussing
the implications of climate change. Management was acting
on behalf of the government. And Australia is one of the
standout countries in terms of human development status.
It is not corrupt. Its science is world class. None of this
mattered. In 2006, the Australian Government's position was
to cast doubt on global waming and refuse to enter UN
agreements such as the Kyoto protocol.

With the release of the Stern Report on climate change, the
Australian Government's position had weakened - yet the
then Prime Minister remained half-hearted about a
commitment to counter global warming.

It seemed that little had changed
from past history when Galileo was put under house arest by
the Vatican for saying that the earth moved around the sun.
In fact, in 1633 the church made him recant his theory of the
universe.

Then as now - new ideas, instead of being welcomed for the opportunities they open up for the improvement
of the human lot, are seen
as threats by those who have become comfortable in their
ideologies (religious or otherwise).

Look how long it's taken for smoking to be recognised as a
health hazard and for governments to try to actually do
something about it. A better world is possible. It will
take time. It will be difficult. But it will be worth it.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 23 September 2013 4:21:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well ozdoc, if you actually believe that, tell us how it got there.

Robert, they are about to. They have no choice, the evidence is irrefutable, even when you have billions of taxpayer dollars to try to concoct a story. Oh, & as an industry, the truth seekers on global warming must be the worst paid industry on earth, unlike academia, with their fraud.

Yes Foxy my sweet, we did show some sense before our Ruddy came along & tried to ride the global warming fraud to secretary general of the UN.

Fortunately the net has made it impossible to prevent the truth becoming public, hence Labors desire to control it in the last days of their collapse.

It is a pity you will only read the propaganda in your lefty spin publications, I'm sure you would understand, if you opened your mind & looked at all the facts. Recent peer reviewed research has left the warmists with nothing to stand on
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 23 September 2013 6:08:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< I am a sckeptic, That means I am not convinced that AGW is real. It does not mean that I "Know" that it is false, it means that I suspect that it is false. >>

I am a sceptic too Bazz. But I strongly suspect that it is true.

<< This is the discussion that should replace AGW arguments. >>

Absolutely!

We should be looking at the future of fossil fuel energy production and consumption, not just in terms of the quantities needed, but also the ever-rising prices and all the economic factors related to that.

Basically it is the economics, not the actual ability to supply the resource, that is all-important.

If we seriously plan for the future on this basis, we will be implementing as many renewable energy sources as we possibly can.

And we would be addressing climate change, inadvertently, but much more effectively than if we concentrated on it as the highest priority.

As I keep saying to Hasbeen, whether you are an ardent denialist or a sceptic or a committed warmist, it shouldn’t matter, because we should be doing the same sort of thing anyway!

Let’s set AGW aside and concentrate on the implications of us continuing to exploit oil in all its forms, and the other fossil fuels, in terms of economics….. and sustainability!
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 23 September 2013 8:06:49 PM
While I've given up arguing with ignorant junk-science purveying deniers like Hasbeen, thought I'd drop in to say the Climate Commission is being resurrected as the Climate Council.

Privately funded.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/23/climate-commission-resurrected-as-private-body?CMP=soc_568
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 24 September 2013 8:30:28 AM
Yes Poirot, good to see………

Except it should now become the Sustainabiity Council!

Climate change is the WRONG thing to focus on!

I would have thought that Tim Flannery, author of The Future Eaters nearly 20 years ago, would realise this.

But alas, he hasn’t been real crash-hot on sustainability for quite some time now. I would like to think that now he is independent of government funding that he can see fit to do this, like he used to.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 24 September 2013 9:06:29 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 24 September 2013 9:13:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy