The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Senate seats and Labors leaks

Senate seats and Labors leaks

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
So Bob Carr is to step down.
And based on the way the Senate works, his six year term is up for grabs.
Paul Howes has in my view done well in saying he is not looking to take it.
His remarks are quite true and, lets face it if the only talent we have is ex Union officials lets turn out the lights close the door and leave.
ALP I am thinking of.
Heaven forbid Sussex Street now in hiding in Parramatta lets us vote on who fills that position.
After all for decades they have used such seats to remove folk from other positions.
Paul you are a bright bloke but based on past practice is some one trying to tell you something?
I move party members get to see who gets to sit in the now house of silly walks.
A day may come that sees the brilliant Paul Howes as Prime Minister,that day however is post healing and hopefully after power brokers trust the rank and file enough to let us be heard not just ordered about.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 19 September 2013 3:22:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Waiting for the OLO's Grrls (and the faux 'Lady') to leap on this like demented attack dogs (their record on such matters speaks for itself).

But wait a bit, where it is Labor or the Greens(shudder, shudder), there can be never be any suggestion of 'sexism' and 'misogyny'. LOL

Besides, Labor has a policy of giving away jobs on gender. So it must be a woman, right? Now if Gillard was still there she would show them how to make a captain's pick.

So much for the luckless electorate who would always want their representatives to be selected on ability and a strong record of rendering a public service.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 19 September 2013 4:29:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That Bob Carr. He's a caution, isn't he.

This says it all.

"Carr secured election to the Senate on 7 September in the No 1 spot for Labor. Carr publicly promised several times to serve a full term even if Labor lost, but the widespread expectation is he will resign."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/19/howes-quits-senate-vacancy-nsw

Politics is well rid of the likes of our Bob. He presided over the demise of NSW with the most spectacular display of inactivity it is possible to envisage.

Fortunately, he was tempted out of politics (the first time) with a half-million dollar "consultancy" at Macquarie Bank, the one and only selfless service that Bank has ever done for the State of NSW.

But I notice that his resignation has not actually been offered yet. Perhaps he's waiting for Macquarie to come up with another half-million. Please, guys, help the country out, just one more time.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 19 September 2013 5:45:53 PM
<< But I notice that his resignation has not actually been offered yet >>

Er….. yeayus!

So what’s all this BS about then, then??

You don’t want to jump the gun or anything eh.

Not just looking for any old excuse to have a dig at someone you consider a really bad politician, but who is actually one of the few who is properly tuned into the REAL core issues that we face, and hence should be seen as one of our truly excellent pollies, of many years’ standing!

But then, that is your style, eh Pericles!
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 19 September 2013 7:50:03 PM
Belly, look who has popped up, to dance on the Labor grave, me The Little Green Pixie, firstly goodbye Bob, you grub! Secondly Paul (put the Greens last) Howes wont be sitting in the Senate, well hallelujah, another grub we wont miss. May I suggest a couple of NSW Labor stalwarts who, shall we say, are at a loose end these days, Eddie (the boss) Obeid and Ian (sir lunch a lot) Macdonald. Both grubs would fill Bob's shoes admirably and be far superior choices than Howes. How about latching on to some good old Greens democracy and have the rank and file members decide, ha, that will not happen in the Labor Party. who's the best branch stacker Albo or what's his name, Mr Forgetable?
Are you a little bit put out by the fact The Greens are still there, a live and kick'n, Still with 10 in the Senate and Adam thrashed your Gal in the seat of Melbourne, interesting how you never did comment on that one. And to think you predicted the demise of The Greens, got that wrong! Hasta la vista Baby, The Greens live to fight another day.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 19 September 2013 11:37:33 PM
My we do let our emotion,s get in the way of balanced comment.
In some cases frothing at the mouth is seen to be comment.
Ludwig, Howes in ending his interview with the comment Labor has trouble hiding its leak, along with the fact he even held the press conference tells open and inquiring minds a great deal.
Carr was well into his other life away from politics when called up, considered the right man to replace Rudd,maybe the only one, Gillard head hunted him.
He has every right to avoid a life sentence in the ,now kiddys sand pit/Senate.
We all should demand an end to current slanted voting system used to put some in this house.
And it would be much more than nice if my party picked a team of 4 or 6 potential replacements and then included a vote for us the member ship, to elect our view of the best.
I posted this in frustration.
Who knew before Howes interview Carr was to go.
Who too knew Howes had been offered the job.
Why are party members on both sides the last to know.
And who and why offered Howes the job.
Last is my great party to forever see ex Unionists draw box one in getting a seat in the Parliament,[box one = the rails run clear air and best chance]
Posted by Belly, Friday, 20 September 2013 6:31:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy