The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Muslim cricketer takes the cash but not the logo.

Muslim cricketer takes the cash but not the logo.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Dear Banjo,

“the anti-gun lobby” is a direct quote from one of your posts. I am sure you were involved in a discussion we had on guns so will do some research. If not then I will concede the inaccuracy.

What I am not prepared to concede is the that point of your post was “that their should be one law and rule for everyone.”

Rather than the above this was your direct message; “Every time we bend to accommodate some other cultural practice, we compromise our own culture.”

Pure revisionism my friend.

And what an inane thread to try and hang this argument on. I will tell you what our cricketing culture was for so many years, that the test whites were never adorned with advertising of any kind. Now look at them. If you want to complain about the cultural damage to the game wrought by moneyed interests then you certainly have a case. But that is not your agenda is it? Rather you want to take a the actions of a young man sticking to his convictions to stir up more anti-multiculturalism rantings.

Who can forget the story of Eric Liddel's refusal to run in a race at the Olympics on a Sunday because of his beliefs so well portrayed in the film Chariots of Fire. “Liddell did however face immense pressure to run on that Sunday and to compete in the 100 metres, getting called before a grilling by the British Olympic Committee, the Prince of Wales, and other grandees; and his refusal to run made headlines around the world."
Wikipedia

Most of us would have applauded his decision and courage not to go against his convictions. Here though, in a mean spirited and spiteful manner, the actions of Fawad Ahmed are derided and used to fear monger.

Poisoners!

This could have opened the door to a discussion about advertising in sport, particularly that of alcohol whose over consumption is such a socially damaging issue, instead we have this thread.

Shame.
Posted by csteele, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 12:36:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
csteele,
You can look all you like at my history. I don't think you will find me contributing to a discussion on guns and I do not recall making any reference to 'the anti gun lobby'. However, like you , I will concede if you happen to find I am wrong.

The point is that if a person wants to belong to a club, team or organization but does not want to wear the uniform or abide by all the rules, he should not attempt to join or expect a special exemption. I don't follow much sport so am not familiar with Eric Liddel, but if he did not run on a Sunday because it was against his beliefs then good on him. He stuck to his principle. Similarly if a cricketer or footballer does not want to wear the approved club uniform he should not play.

This is not the first time persons have used their culture to get what they want or gain some advantage in some manner. Also it is not the first time officialdom has bent the rules to suit a player of ability. Officials then compromise their principles.

We are a multi-racial society but not multicultural. The word multicultural is a misnomer. We accept some aspects of some other cultures as long as they do not contravene our laws and standards.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 1:33:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We have the 'Qantas Wallabies'. Their games never make any mention of the fact that the team is representing Australia.

I say we currently have no Australian Rugby Union Team. Just a bunch of blokes who play for Qantas.

No national side should be allowed to bear any logo except the Australian coat of arms, or Australian flag.

I love a drink, not a fan of VB I must admit but I believe getting drunk is a legitimate ingredient of a national culture. I just think if you're going to have a national team, they should represent the nation.

I find it curious though this Muslim thing. What of the Commonwealth bank series?

Those who charge usury are in the same position as those controlled by the devil's influence. This is because they claim that usury is the same as commerce. However, God permits commerce, and prohibits usury. Thus, whoever heeds this commandment from his Lord, and refrains from usury, he may keep his past earnings, and his judgment rests with God. As for those who persist in usury, they incur Hell, wherein they abide forever (Al-Baqarah 2:275)
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 2:09:59 PM
Dear Banjo,

This is where I remembered your gun stance from.

'Media beat up about guns'. A thread started by you that can be found here;
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=5190&page=0#140223

“Well the media and the gun control lobby copped a blasting today about the two Olympic swimmers having their pic taken, holding guns, in a US gunshop.”

“The anti gun lobby used the pic to push their barrow. and it was blown up by sensational media.”
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 10:53:55 PM

A quick scan for 'banjo' and 'workplace safer for criminals' returned a quote from you from 5 years ago which mimics your post from above.

“I was really upset about the implementation of the gun laws because they were imposed purely for short term political gain, nothing else. The only acheivement being that the workplace is now safer for criminals.”
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 25 June 2008 8:06:20 AM

There are more than likely others but I have satisfied myself that I was not unjustly inaccurate in my claim.

Back to the topic.

You said “We accept some aspects of some other cultures as long as they do not contravene our laws and standards.”

Now I would like you to explain to the rest of us why refusing to wear the logo of a beer on one's sporting apparel has contravened our laws or our standards?

Come on mate. I tend to slot you in a notch or two above the first two posters here but you continue to speak rubbish. Cogent arguments please.
Posted by csteele, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 2:26:58 PM
csteele, "Cogent arguments please"

Advice you could follow yourself.

BTT
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 2:57:06 PM
I've just read a bit more on this issue on
the web and it appears that Carlton United
Breweries are respectful of Fawad's personal
beliefs and have agreed with his request to
wear an unbranded shirt because of his faith's
ban on alcohol. They respect the fact that the
man's religious beliefs don't allow him to be seen
in promoting alcohol.

Carlton United Breweries have been a long-standing
partner with Cricket Australia for 17 years.
And as Fawad has stated - he's thankful for
CUB's understanding of his personal situation.

Perhaps this issue is a bit of a storm in a teacup?
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 3:00:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All