The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Holden deal will hurt labors campaign

The Holden deal will hurt labors campaign

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The recent deal, reached between Holden, the unions and the workers, has taken away any chance for labor to use IR as ammunition against the libs, leading up to the election.

As a result, what have labor got left. More so, it probably explains why labors only tool is negativity, a tool Kevin Rudd himself said would not be used. Yeh right!

As for the Holden deal, my tip is this is just the beginning, as these job saving deals will become the norm in days to come, thanks mainly to labors mess they are most likely to leave behind, and the way many of these no longer viable deals were struck.

In a nut shell, those days are gone.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 15 August 2013 7:24:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I just don’t understand the thinking of the government. The FWA IR stuff has worked to the advantage of the unions and employees in the automotive industry for many years.

Now the industry is hurting so the public purse is used to subsidize the car industry. The industry is still hurting so the unions and workers moderate their demands to help survival.

Then the government smashes the car industry and leasing industry with the FBT changes, oops they say, and promptly provide more public subsidies.

Is it just me or are we seeing some sort of madness in play here?
Posted by spindoc, Thursday, 15 August 2013 12:01:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am no expert in the management of large factories.
I would be sad to see the end of Australian car manufacturing but sadly
in the long term it is close to inevitable.
I draw your attention to the fact that we produce only 40% of the oil
we use and we will soon export 100% of it.
We then will import 100% of our petrol & diesel.

Those hundred of thousands of cars on the road every day rushing to work
and then back in the late afternoon must end due to the increasing cost
of fuel, or a switch to electric cars must take place.
The local price has fallen more than $10,000 in recent weeks.
Not sure if they are just getting rid of them or if it is a genuine reduction.

In the medium to long term the only way the manufacturers can survive
is to produce electric cars or if the government bans the export of
natural gas a mass conversion of the fleet to natural gas.

The problem of range to the typical 160km will not be overcome fo a
long time, but that would suit many commuters.
A friend of mine bought a Mitsubishi iMev and drives it to work
daily for a bit less than $1.00, and his wife goes just 1km to work
in their other car.

So one way or another there is going to be a major change to take
place in the auto industry.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 15 August 2013 12:32:36 PM
Far more than this is hurting the ALP.
It is an indisputable fact both side have propped up the car industry and others.
It fact before world trade it was quite the usual thing, for farmers in particular.
I believe it is time to say Labor is unlikely to be returned to office.
And that we truly look at just who is about to take it and his policy,s.
I can not avoid the pre Rudd,s return self inflicted damage.
But know, no room for uncertainty, we are election a team extremely short on substance.
This was the case after the 1975 election.
And Liberals from that era will not Dennie it.
Those like me, a fixed Labor voters should take heart Rudd has turned our party,s head to reform.
And unbiased thought, Abbott and his team will turn our country back to Labor.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 15 August 2013 3:41:46 PM
Belly, the only way labor will get back in office is if the libs fail to turn things around.

However, if they do turn things around, I doubt we will see a labor government returned for many terms.

The fact is that Kevin Rudd has squandered a golden opportunity, as had he gone straight to the polls, he may well have won the election. Time was always going to be his enemy, as the longer he waited, the more people would have second thoughts.

It was a given.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 15 August 2013 9:20:45 PM
Than God workers are starting to act to protect the sources of their income. Common sense says when times are tough you have to back off, wait and maybe, just maybe, things will get better and there might be more cash to go around.
The problem with this country is the average worker has a far too high expectation of his worth and sees the boss as his enemy rather that the source of his sustenance.
If less in the pay packet means job security the so be it and start lowering the home standard to compliment the available resources.
Of course this doesn't include the 'tradies'.
One plumber I know off, only three years out of his apprenticeship, only works two days a week now because he has started charging $85.00 an hour for as ten hour day and the shortage of plumbers around my area guarantees he gets the work at that rate.
His wife is a registered nurse at the local hospital so there is still a $2,000 to $3,000 weekly household income.
They get the childcare subsidiaries as well and all the other no means-tested public handouts as well.
Sick isn't it?
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Thursday, 15 August 2013 11:27:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy