The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Female genital mutilation.

Female genital mutilation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
I read an article on female genital mutilation and was appalled that it was still so widespread a practice. Is this stupid tradition allowed to be inflicted on girls or is it restricted to the adult women? Is it illegal in Australia? If not, why not? This "tradition" is barbaric and robs women of the ability to enjoy sex as much as those who are not mutilated. This practice was obviously first thought up by a man as no woman would think it's a good idea unless they were brainwashed into thinking so by their Religion and culture. The sooner this stupidity is stamped out world wide the better. I thought humanity was more civilised than this!
Posted by turtletimtam, Tuesday, 23 July 2013 1:38:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just Google the topic if you want to learn more about it.

I agree its appalling and should be banned world-wide but discussing it here isn't going to accomplish anything.
Posted by sbr108, Tuesday, 23 July 2013 5:09:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welcome and congrats on posting this again.
Banjo and myself are strongly against the practice.
And in my case would deport parents who inflict this on their daughters.
A few over looked facts, grave doubt can be cast on it being part of Muslim holly books teaching.
And a case so shocking it would make you sick can be made that its single purpose is to control females.
Attempting to take the pleasure of sex away from them.
Open and shut case *it is wrong* torture* serves no purpose*
Well no you will see some name us xenophobic for just mentioning it here.
If this is Multi Culture ism,let put an end to it, the mixing of cultures if we who have laws against it can not stop it.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 23 July 2013 5:59:44 PM
PS do not take notice of the other new chum.
We have posted hundreds of posts in many threads about this.
Recent arrests I think have seen charges dropped!
Not sure we can discard any subject based on a single persons thoughts.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 23 July 2013 6:03:09 PM
Please don't get me wrong. Anyone can bring up any topic they like. I just feel that if a person really does want to learn more about a topic they will be more successful doing further research on respected internet sources than they will asking questions from the armchair experts on this site.

Belly, I may be a newbee upstart in your eyes but I make no apology for disagreeing with most of what you say. Get use to it.
Posted by sbr108, Tuesday, 23 July 2013 6:58:02 PM
turtlrtimtam,
FGM has been illegal in Aus since 1994 when all states made it illegal. It is mainly carried out in muslim societies, but not all, and there are some non-muslim groups that also practice it. There are 4 catagories of the mutilation and the type practised depends upon cultural tradition.

There is anecdotal evidence that it is carried out here in Aus, but the extent is not known. Our governments have been relying on education but that appears to have failed as the incidence seems to be increasing.

To date no prosecutions have been carried out here, but charges were laid against 8 persons over FGM of 2 girls. These cases have been adjourned a few times and I have lost track but am still hopeful of the prosecutions taking place.

France has had about 100 convictions based on medical examination evidence alone and apparently this has reduced the incidence a lot.

I belong to a group called NO FGM Australia who want to see parents prosecuted for carrying out FGM, with serious penalties and also all 'at risk' girls receive regular medical examinations to detect if mutilations have taken place. This will mean the parents would be revealed and charged. This could be a long way off yet though.

I agree it is a barbaric practice. I believe we should stop allowing immigration from those groups that practice FGM.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 23 July 2013 8:47:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy