The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Home Grown Terrorism

Home Grown Terrorism

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All
Recent events like the Murder in London, and maybe todays assault in Paris ask this question.
What can be done to stop it?
Are our laws and values, belief in freedom of speech, and with in the law to protest working against us?
My fear is on line hate pages may sooner rather than later bring this horror here.
I am aware youth,as has always been the way, thinks far differently than it may in the middle age of life, and this makes some people act in ways they might not later agree with.
Is freedom of speech worth letting preachers of hate, any hate, do as they wish.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 26 May 2013 1:56:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, as awful as the murder in London was, there has been some equally awful murders committed that weren't racially motivated, or considered terrorist crimes.
Murder is murder, and all should be considered on a case by case basis against violent people.

Freedom of speech should remain a necessary freedom here, however I do agree that it should have its limits.
If a public speech incites violence amongst its listeners, then both the speech giver and the violent offenders should pay for their crimes... for whatever reasons they give.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 26 May 2013 5:42:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not sure a Murder committed as an act of terrorism is not terrorism.
We should not bog down in Racism, remember one of the killers was a Christian Convert.
So what do we do about the people he found, or who found him, and made him become a killer.
Are his, and those involved in his turning rights, to see more deaths, maybe here.
I can quote even myself, in defending free speech.
We can find greatness in that defense in our history.
But will that freedom remain unchanged forever?
Is early self defense action, [stopping talking about committing murder]worth thought.
We very well will see near race based thoughts here but is it race?
Would we be as fearful about some if they shared our faith.
I think we must first second and third look at the things made Public after Boston, and London, already, maybe Paris next.
Looking back, not forward, the first two events seem to have given warnings that a closer look, maybe take the free speech away, could have stopped the events.
What rights did we protect for the now dead?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 26 May 2013 6:06:07 PM
This is the full text of the Woolwich assailant's speech:

"The only reason we have killed this man today is because Muslims are dying daily by British soldiers, and this British soldier is one, is a eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. By Allah, we swear by the Almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you until you leave us alone. So what if we want to live by the Sharia in Muslim lands. Why does that mean you must follow us and chase us and call us extremists and kill us? Rather you lot are extreme. You are the ones. When you drop a bomb, do you think it hits one person or rather your bomb wipes out a whole family. This is the reality. By Allah, if I saw your mother today with a buggy I would help her up the stairs. This is my nature. But we are forced by the Qur’an in Sura at-Tawba [Chapter 9 of the Qur'an], through many, many ayah [verses] throughout the Qur’an that [say] we must fight them as they fight us, a eye for a eye and a tooth for a tooth. I apologise that women had to witness this today, but in our land our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your governments. They don’t care about you. Do you think David Cameron is gonna get caught in the street when we start busting our guns? Do you think the politicians are going to die? No it’s going to be the average guy, like you, and your children. So get rid of them. Tell them to bring our troops back so we ca.., so you can all live in peace. Leave our lands and you will live in peace. That’s all I have to say. Allah’s peace and blessings be upon Muhammad.”
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 26 May 2013 6:26:57 PM
Yes indeed Jay, a truly strange rant.
That sort of thinking and actions only goes to reinforce my position that religion and imagined 'gods' are at the route of all evil in our society.
We could certainly do without them.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 26 May 2013 7:13:43 PM
The guy who got killed was a British soldier who had fought in Afghanistan.

Had he killed people there?

Obviously the foreign forces have killed loads of people there; even their own propaganda admits it. That was his job; what makes you think he didn't do it?

What I don't like is the slavish idolising of these people as "serving their country" when they go there and kill people; but when people who identify with the victims of this aggression kill back, all of a sudden it's "terrorism".

Let's get one thing straight. These people volunteer to join in an aggressive invasion and occupation of a country that has not attacked and has not offered to attack Australia. They are not serving the country. They are serving the State.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Sunday, 26 May 2013 7:59:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy