The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why the big deal about super

Why the big deal about super

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Here we go again, Bill Shorten (labor) is off an a tangent about the libs proposal to at best, delay the super increase, and at worst, cancel it.

Two points.
1. Labor is trying to have us believe it was THEY who are paying the increased Super, whereas it's actualy BUSINESS that is being expected to coaf up additional super, labor is simply trying to take medal for it.

Tony Abbott is well aware that many businesses are doing it VERY TOUGH and would rather try to save the businesses, than burden them with yet more expense.

2. At what point are WORKERS going to have to contribute to their own super, rather than just keep accepting what labor hands them.

It's yet another scare campaign from this crumbling government.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 18 May 2013 10:51:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anger? no in truth sympathy, that Rechtub is my true feelings toward you.
As is usual for you you have no idea of what you talk.
It is a fact, workers once gave up a 3 percent wage rise to see it go to super.
I personally have bargained away wage rises on behalf of workers for superannuation.
It was intended, SHORTEN said so, the increases in superannuation would be soaked up by lessor wage rises.
Superannuation adds to this country,s overall economy.
It not over seas loans, often bank roll state governments and federal.
Soon within no more than a decade, superannuation will be used instead of welfare pensions, to the countrys benefit.
Again you blast out with an indignant shout, without a gram of understanding.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 18 May 2013 5:07:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly you know your history. Yes its years now since workers, many who were 'locked out' of Supa, first traded a wage rise of 3% to gain access.
Either our friend rehctub is truly ignorant of the facts, or with his usual bias is applying selective memory.
"many businesses are doing it VERY TOUGH" If you believe business they have been doing it "TOUGH" since the day Adam went into the business of picking apples.
Its a fact business gets a very fair go in Australia, successive governments have been "business friendly" since federation, turning a blind eye to their "thumb on the scales" when it comes to paying their fair share.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 18 May 2013 6:20:17 PM
Nice diversion guys, so I say again, at what point do employees start to comtribute to THEIR OWN SUPER.

Now while I recognize the initial 3% in lie of that pay rise, what about the rises since, from 3 to 6%, then to 9%.

Surely you're not suggesting these rises have been instead of pay rises?

Another point you failed to address, was how this Shorten guy came up with his number.

I guess it's just another guess, like so many other guesses made by this mob.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 18 May 2013 9:04:12 PM
Paul rechtub is in all probability a good bloke.
But in my view a bigot too.
Yes the first 3% came from giving up that amount in wages rises.
I was no mug union official.
And no radical idiot.
Even when rise in super came from government , firms traded off that am mount in wages rises, with folk like me in EBA negotiations.
Rechtub grasps no truths that impede his anti wages/worker/welfare / receiver back packer/ love to hate theory,s.
I NEVER ONCE doubted the truth about super, it is saving for what?
After work retirement!
Some self supporting retirees take, workers not salary, a million dollars with them.
It in my view was and remains the intention supper is the future pension!
I at 55 years of age took it as the law said I could, purchased for cash my home.
Supported myself for months.
Took another job, paid on top of my compulsory contributions $200 a week.
rechtub thinks middle class welfare is ok but in truth this country will lead the world when super becomes the pension.
A youth of 18 starting work today, putting super in to a low fees
PLEASE! POSTERS! MONITOR YOUR SUPER!,scheme, will be able to self support at the end of work, ACTU currently has a wish for 15% and if workers giveup half of one percent each year for 6 years?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 19 May 2013 6:27:19 AM
Hi Belly, once upon a time back in the 1970's, Australians become very optimistic about their retirement. The days when a bloke could retire at 65 after doing his 40 odds years, into his comfortable little bungalow in suburbia or wherever, play with the grand kids, tend his garden and enjoy the family with mums Sunday roast. Gough had got us out of Vietnam, jobs were plentiful, housing was affordable, wages were good, all was roseie in the garden. It was a time of promise, a time when the worker could feel he was an equal with the boss and was going to enjoy the fruits of his labour, both during hid working life and later in retirement. At that time governments made bold promises, the old age pension would be raised to 25% of average earnings, all over the age of 70 would enjoy a pension with no means test what so ever. Those were the days my friend, but unfortunately the 25% was out of reach and after a short flirtation with the over 70 pension (I recall Pig Iron Bob Menzies go it and their was outrage considering the 25% was yet to be put in place) all the great expectation came to nothing.
Th their credit it was Hawke/Keating, I think more the Clock's idea than the Silver Bodgie's, Keating was a thinker, who envisaged a National Superannuation Scheme which workers could afford by trading wage rises along with productivity increase, over time this would see all Australians living with dignity and in no small comfort. I give the thumbs up to Labor and the Unions for still pushing the superannuation agenda, despite conservative opposition. Its been a long road but their is light at the end of the tunnel
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 19 May 2013 8:58:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy