The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Horse Racing - The Sport of King's or the business of Rogues ?

Horse Racing - The Sport of King's or the business of Rogues ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
A few months after my retirement I was in a Bank situated quite close to a leading Race Course. To my utter surprise I met this bloke therein, with whom I previously worked, who was now the Chief Race Course Detective for this nearby Race Course. A most illustrious title I must confess !

After some discussion away from the Bank, and with our collective business there concluded, he asked if I'd be interested in joining his small but elite staff, now that I was retired ? With the proviso naturally that he received positive acquiescence from his superior, the Deputy Secretary of the relevant Course.

Most employed in that capacity are generally all ex-coppers, with a few ex Prison Warders. With the essential qualification for such a role, was simply a thoroughly good knowledge of who's who in the zoo ! Faces particularly, and more Faces ! Being able to recognise individuals who've been officially 'warned off' the Course, both by the law, or the Race Course officials themselves.

So these 'plastic' detectives could direct anyone who's come under unfavourable notice to leave the Course immediately. Failure to do so would result in the 'real' coppers being promptly summoned and invariably the miscreant was charged with trespass, together with + +, as deemed necessary ?

I don't have any specific knowledge of the industry per se, other than my specific understanding of one distinct component. Let's just call it the 'Collections' Department ? And that it does attract a large number of criminals. Other's essentially use the facility as a effective strategy for cleansing money. Further, many of those actually involved in Racing, need to submit to a meticulous and exhaustive character examination too !

In fact in my opinion Racing in all it's forms, needs a permanent, Judicial Commission of Enquiry, with the broadest, most compelling, and persuasive powers, in order to completely exorcise and eradicate the many miscreants it has, for so long, deeply entrenched within it's ranks.

To admit my unequivocal love of ALL horses, would be a gross trivialization, in the extreme.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 3:44:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i don't think o sung su that most people really care that the industry is corrupt. The afl don't care that players are drugged unless it starts to affect revenue. people pour millions into pokies knowing that they get far less than 100% back. In one sense I suspect its part of the game for real gamblers to work out the doped horse or the jockey pulling the reigns. That was certainly the case back in my gambling days before I was delivered. Have you ever noticed that its people who can't afford to gamble that normally do the most. the habit blinds them to corruption. The whole carbon tax rip off is far more serious as people don't get a choice in helping the Government with this wastage and deceit.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 4:38:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

Horse racing is the Sport of Kings and the business
of rogues. Were there's so much money involved
corrpution comes with the territory.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/police-probe-racing-corrpution-20120805-23o1k.html

And:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/youre-an-absolute-sham-gai-lashes-out-at-singleton-20130506-2j26b.html
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 5:39:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cont'd ...

My apologies for the typos.

Very frustrating.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 5:40:46 PM
I rather like the summary of the "sport", provided today by Crikey's Canberra correspondent, Bernard Keane:

"Racing is a corrupt industry that profits from the stupidity of gamblers and the infliction of pain on animals"

Forget the "permanent Judicial Commission of Enquiry" o sung wu.

Apart from the fact that it would not know where to start, or whom to believe, or what rules to observe, the highest likelihood is that its members would simply either be, or soon become, part of the corrupt merry-go-round it was set up to monitor.

As far as the current brouhaha is concerned, it would not surprise me in the slightest if it turned out to be a pantomime, established by the financial advisers and lawyers of one faction or the other (or both) to facilitate the passing of tax-free moneys from one to the other. Defamation payouts are of course tax-free...
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 6:02:29 PM
Dear o sung wu,

Good to see you in the saddle mate.
Posted by csteele, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 6:14:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy