The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Over and over again, hundreds of times!

Over and over again, hundreds of times!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
It would be SO good if we had the facility to edit posts after they’ve been posted, or to withdraw them, correct them and then repost.

Even after seven and a half years and over 5300 posts on OLO, I STILL suffer from the same excruciating problem –

I proof-read and spell-and-grammar check every post, then proof-read again, and then put up in the preview box and proof-read again…. and then post only after I’m happy that it is error-free. Then read again after posting and …. AAAARRGH …… there is a glaring typo straight away!

This has happened literally hundreds of times! Probably well over a thousand times!

I hate taking the time to write posts and get them right, only to have them corrupted by one little error, often just one letter… which makes all the difference to my OLO experience!

OLO is wonderful. I put many hours into it every week. It is a cut above other online forums.

Yes you see typos all over the place online, in all places that you can put up comments. OLO is no worse than any others.

But nonetheless, it would be SOOO good to be able to have one more tool at one’s disposal in one’s effort to submit good quality posts. A post-posting correction capability or a withdrawal capability within a short time period or before a subsequent post is put up would do the trick very nicely.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 4 May 2013 9:39:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, I agree.

One option, i think it is on Roar, is to have a 5-10 minute period to make a correction. This probably best option to stop people writing anything with less thought to controlling anger.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 5 May 2013 8:44:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree as well.

I am guilty of making the odd mistake and want to be able to correct it.

One problem is that if someone replies to a mistaken post and the original is later changed the 2nd commenter would need to change theirs,it could get out of hand quickly.

If implemented it would need to have an indicator to say it had been changed.
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 5 May 2013 11:58:10 AM
Ludwig how did you do it?
Read over my shoulder as I type.
Its me, to a tee.
First bloke this is a privatively owned forum.
And its funding is not assured, if we kick in we just may see changes.
While I remain the number one suspect for your description I do not think it matters much.
I have given spell checks nervous break downs, my current yanky one has got me nearly that way.
I and other I am sure know very little about fixing things in the PC depends I think on age.
I think until recently we could hide our fault behind a now absent poster who was the master of miss print.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 5 May 2013 3:21:14 PM
Switch to V Bulletin, it's the most user and mod friendly bbs system.
From a moderation point of view I can understand why you'd limit post sizes and their number but in general forums police themselves.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 5 May 2013 4:37:53 PM
I agree with Ludwig. And I think we should able to post images. Sometimes a picture says a thousands words which is great when you're limited to 350.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Sunday, 5 May 2013 4:50:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy