The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > First court case of forced marriage

First court case of forced marriage

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
david f,
One of the meanings of the word alien is repugnat, so it does not necesary have to be foreign.

Yes I consider drink driving alien and also the binge drinking that seems to affect our young of both sex's.

We have enough bad habits and practices of our own without importing still more.

Would you like to see honour killings, child brides, incest and pedophillia become part of our culture, like it is in some countries.

What about dowry deaths, kerosene burning or acid attacks?

What about some culinary delights like dog meat, spiders, maggots and human placenta? would you like to add all these cultural practices to the ones we already turn a blind eye to in Aus.

Not all introduced or foreign practices are bad, but there are many that are. We have to be aware they exist and prevent them.

Simply making them unlawfull is not enough as we have seen with polygamy, FGM and forced marriage. The laws have to be enforced!
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 18 March 2013 6:49:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

One of the meanings of alien is indeed repugnant. If you had used word, repugnant, there would be no misunderstanding. The primary meaning of alien is simply foreign. I, for one, do not find something repugnant merely because it is foreign. Do you?

I agree with you that merely making something unlawful without enforcing such laws is pointless.

You wrote: "What about some culinary delights like dog meat, spiders, maggots and human placenta? would you like to add all these cultural practices to the ones we already turn a blind eye to in Aus."

Yes, I would turn a blind eye to them. They are repugnant to me, but I see no reason to prevent others from eating that stuff if they want to. How would it hurt you if other people ate those things?
Posted by david f, Monday, 18 March 2013 7:40:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

You brought up the subject of eating certain foods that are repugnant to you. Those you mention are also repugnant to me. One of them was dog meat which I would not want to eat. In the US I worked with someone whose father was an American Indian who liked dog meat. On an occasional Sunday her mother would cook some dog meat as a special treat for her father. what harm was done except to the dog?

We had what was called the 'Great Experiment' in the US called Prohibition where the government banned liquor. It was horrible. As long as people don't drive or operate hazardous machinery while they are under the influence it should be their own business. What people eat, wear, believe or think should be no business of the government as long as they do not try to force it on other people.

I am pretty circumspect in my habits. I have not had an alcoholic drink this year, have never taken non-prescription drugs, rarely eat meat and don't gamble. However, I am for legalising drugs and prostitution, eliminating laws against blasphemy and eliminating all penalties on acts which do not hurt others.

As the great philosophy Jimmy Durante said, "Why doesn't everybody leave everybody else alone?"
Posted by david f, Monday, 18 March 2013 8:05:20 PM
FGM forced by older women on screaming and afraid children is not morally sustainable Mr opinion.
Saying it is done because of religion, not the truth a cultural thing to suppress women is too.
Using a thread about the forced marriage of a woman in our country is far from the once caring left of center.
Human Rights only for some? only for men?
Are we divided on the rights of women depending on what country they live in.
Must the left confront the right on every issue regardless of the right side of an issue.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 7:14:05 AM
Belly said;

“Using a thread about the forced marriage of a woman in our country is far from the once caring left of center.”

This is completely indicative of the bigoted, poison spreading, right-wing in this country. The thread was about the forced marriage of a MAN in our country and anyone who took the time to read the link in the original post would have known that.

But instead they leap on constructed stereotypes to bang out their message with total disregard for evidence, truth or balance.

Again, the victim here was a man and probably not Muslim. But why let that get in the way of a good hate session?
Posted by csteele, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 9:50:24 AM
If there was no hate csteele you will make it up.
Lies are just as deadly in the middle east as ak47s.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 2:40:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy