The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Government lies about crime statistics for assylum seekers.

Government lies about crime statistics for assylum seekers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
PART 1
1st the Government line "ASYLUM seekers living in the community on bridging visas are about 45 times less likely to be charged with a crime than members of the general public.

Figures released by the department of immigration and citizenship show that since November 2011, 12,100 asylum seekers have been released into the community on bridging visas.

A department spokeswoman said that ''a handful'' - or five or less - had been charged with a crime. This equates to just 41.32 people per 100,000 people.

HERE ARE 6 CASES and 1 should have case, in that time period THAT IS MORE THAN 5.
1) The 4 young refugees who protested on the roof of the house in Broadmeadows, resulting in the SWAT police being deployed.
2) A former Iraqi refugee has been sentenced to more than 11 years in jail for people smuggling 2012.
3) April 12, 2012 a JUDGE has today rejected an Afghan refugee's claim that he raped an intoxicated and vulnerable teenager because of cultural differences, Esmatullah Sharifi, 30, was appearing in the County Court for the second time in less than three years on a charge of rape. (NOTE 2nd TIME)
4) Cap't Emad who escaped prosecution by leaving Australia.

Of the 12,100 released to the community most were only released in the past 6 months, so factoring the figure over 12 months is WRONG.(inaccurate)

The Government figures are for Australia they do not take int account crimes committed on Manus island, Christmas island, Nauru or while they are still in detention in Australia.

To be continued
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 1 March 2013 6:19:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PART 2

THESE FIGURES HAVE TO BE ADDED TO THE CRIME STATISTICS or the system is a complete SHAM.
1) 14 detainees who caused $24,000 damage at the Nauru processing center in September
2) 16 men accused of rioting at Sydney's Villawood detention center last year causing $9 million worth of damage to buildings.
3) 100 detainees involved in a brawl at Darwin's Wickham Point detention center that started over a soccer match.
4) The Iranian refugee who indecently assaulted six schoolgirls at the pool on the Darwin waterfront. was on an excursion.
5) 3 men who escaped the Manus Island detention facility January 2013.
6) 2 asylum seekers on Nauru in September who damaged facilities at the immigration processing center.
7) The asylum seekers who were so aggressive when a merchant vessel picked them up off Java that the ship's captain took them to Christmas island rather than continuing to Singapore.
8) The 7 Afghani men who pleaded guilty to damaging $25,000 dollars worth of Commonwealth property at a Darwin detention center.
9) The 3 asylum seekers on Nauru who were locked up in the local police station October for damaging accommodation and cooking facilities.
10) Around January 2013 there were at least 2 groups escape from the Nauru center.
11) October 2012 the Burmese refugee who damaged
12) The Burmese refugee found guilty of assaulting the SERCO guard in June 2012.
13) A Villawood detainee who sprayed and threw fire extinguishers at security officers during a riot at the immigration detention center has been sentenced to at least 16 months' jail.
14) Mohammed Hosseini was found guilty of touching a 13-year-old boy at a bus stop and a seven-year-old girl four months later at a soccer
ground August 2012 found guilty.
15) The Iraqi refugee who pleaded guilty in the Darwin Magistrates Court to smashing windows at an immigration detention center. July 2012
16) There are many instances where crimes were committed in detention centers but the situation was handled internally, but they were criminal offenses.

Also how many victims are too scared to report what happened?
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 1 March 2013 7:58:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Corrected

11) October 2012 the Burmese refugee convicted of assault and who caused about $16,000 worth of damage at a Northern Territory immigration detention center.

11) & 12) are 2 different people.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 1 March 2013 10:00:16 PM
Bigotry is not a good start to a debate.
I found in an earlier part of my life, going in to one you should be interested in both sides of one.
As a person recognizing Labors policys in part, bought about this flood, a mere change of government helped too.
And wanting my country, not economic refugees,saying who will come here.
I am no friend of what is, lets be honest, invaders.
But are the crime figures any different than our full time residents?
Are those figures inflated , actually true, but influenced by police and others who ,may as our author has, hold preconceived opinions about them, and lay charges that may not be laid against others?
I will not trouble the thread,such heat and anger,and lets be honest blindness to other views is not debate.
I will however, remind poster, the Malaysian solution would have worked.
The intellectually blind will scream in indignation,about the numbers involved.
Forgetting both sides must win , no one is the others slave.
See you in other threads, maybe even one that attempts to solve this issue.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 2 March 2013 6:04:02 AM
Phil, asylum seekers although ethnically and culturally different than many here, are another ordinary group in our society. I expect that a small number may well be criminals, that is true of every social group. I'll accept your crime statistics at face value. Many of the crimes you list relate to actions at detention centers, as a peace loving person I can not condone violent action by anyone, but I can understand the reasons behind much of this behavior.
Anyone who attacks women or anyone for that matter, deserves the full force of the law, there is no question about that. I do however notice in your crime statistics a lack of general crime, armed holdups, home invasions, car thefts etc. This lack of general crime amongst asylum seekers indicates to me that possibly given the chance many of these people could make decent members of our society. For some of us their biggest crime is, as I stated at the beginning, that they are ethnically and culturally different, people who believe this is what asylum seeker are truly guilty of will never be accepting and will take the view that all such persons are unacceptable.
I am in no way condoning people making dangerous sea voyages to Australia to seek asylum, but It is a reality that we have to deal with this problem, hopefully in a humanitarian way.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 2 March 2013 6:16:41 AM
Why stop at asylum seekers, why not look at crime as a whole in Australia and find out just what percentage of (serious crimes) are committed by natural born Australians.

I think we would find the results alarming, to say the least.

And Belly, sorry to correct you old mate, but when you say ....As a person recognizing Labors policys in part, bought about this flood

May i correct you in saying that Labor are the SOLE REASON for this debacle and they (Rud and Gillard) should never ever be forgiven for their actions, as not only are we paying for it now, but generations to follow will also be paying for this, what will go down in history, as the worst ever policy change.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 2 March 2013 7:21:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy