The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Prime Minister Gillard, one tough lady:

Prime Minister Gillard, one tough lady:

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All
Whatever expression you care to use, I guess I'm just a 'rusted on', conservative. Never voted for the Labour Party, probably never will. In fact if the Libs put up 'Attila the Hun' as a potential PM I'd more than likely vote for him too.

Then why is it, that I've got this growing, (however begrudging) admiration for PM Gillard ? Certainly not for her policies, her personality even, then what ? All I can put it down too really, is her incredible toughness, her profound resilience, even her strength and buoyancy under almost continued attacks on both her personally and her character, by those in the Opposition.

No real difference to Margeret Thatcher in my view ?

Doesn't true Leadership require such virtues ? The ability, to make a decision, even the WRONG decision, and stick to it ! And still possess the fortitude to carry it through ? Rather than just 'dither away' in the corner somewhere ?

Wasn't 'leadership' the marque of John Winston HOWARD ? He ran a tight ship didn't he ? It's for this reason, I do worry and wonder about the public toughness of Tony Abbott ? There's no doubt, Mr Abbott is one real tough dude. But does he express that toughness in the face of public adversity, and yet still control his emotions, in public ?

Perhaps most can recall the interview he had with some nameless journo on some forgettable issue, outside Parliament House. Where he apparently 'froze' for almost a full minute, on national TV, ostensibly caught in some cold fury because of the line of questioning the journo had put to him ?

The rest of the Labour front bench, well...they amount to naught. Without PM Gillard, the Opposition, would profoundly decimate them.
And Kevin Rudd ? Weak, very weak. If otherwise, he would've wrested the Labour leadership back from Ms Gillard, sooner rather than later.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 9 February 2013 3:54:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, it must be a nice feeling, knowing you can get it wrong so often, resulting in so much waste of tax payers money, knowing that not only are you not financially, or criminally liable, but you get rewarded at the end with a big fat pension and life long perks.

I think it's called, hold office at any cost, as anything less would result in a far less desirable reward at the end.

Political indemnity insurance would change all this, as stuff ups would see premiums skyrocket.

Of cause any penalties imposed on these individuals premiums would be funded, or more so, refunded, from the pensions of those who made the stuff ups.

At least a system like this would have seen much of our wasted billions returned to us, the tax payers, to be either used, or wasted again, depending on the competency of the sitting party and their leaders, but at least our taxes would have been worth working for.

Now if we introduced a system like this, we would soon see an end to the gross incompetence we as tax payers have no control over and who knows, we may even attract smarter

So to answer the question, is she tough, or simply protecting her interests.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 10 February 2013 7:13:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

I agree with you the Prime Minister is, one
tough lady and I also have to admit that I
do admire her.

No matter how many obstacles
were thrown in her path, she's overcome
the obstacles. A big plus is the fact that
she's dealt with complex issues,
without resorting to inane slogans and negative
rhetoric. She's had the character, maturity and
integrity to maintain her focus, passing major
bills, and has gotten on with the job of governing.

She does not seek to be Prime Minister by destruction,
she does have policies, a reform agenda, and vision.
She does not lower the national debate. Her ideas are
not regressive or imparted by divisive scare tactics.
She does not dog-whistle to extreme nutjobs nor is aided
and abetted by toxic mouthpieces.

The question voters need to ask themselves is -
Will their lives be made so much better with a
change of Prime Minister and government?
Seriously!
Have things improved in Victoria and
Queensland for voters?
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 10 February 2013 10:31:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have been saying for 2 years that Julia should look to and learn from thatcher. Not her policies of course but her toughness, leadership and vision. Glad to see she is finally getting it together and that some are noticing. Must scare the crap out of the tory dinosaurs. LOL Good.

P.S. I think she looks hot in those new glasses. ;)
Posted by mikk, Sunday, 10 February 2013 11:00:07 AM
Behavioural scientists would have us believe that as men enter their advanced years they become overly sentimental, maudlin. It was a theme developed often by Shakespeare.

Gird your loins o sung wu and rediscover that attention to detail and evidence that is the trademark of the seasoned 'D'. As one of Sydney's best, you would have seen many a man beguiled by fraud and you would certainly have had the dark arts of false packaging and insincerity practised upon you often enough. You would remember silver-tongued barristers who got their charges away with murder. Did you ever sit there amazed that the jury had somehow forgotten the clear evidence before them, while sucking in the honey from the wordsmith and actor in the black gown and wig?

The first question any First Class Constable would ask is "Which Julia?", remembering the packaging of Julias before. He might also observe that "A leopard doesn't change its spots so easily".

You see, the new Julia and the tactics are the work of a Machiavellian spin master recently arrived from Britain, where he similarly advised a 'Prince'.

I don't think you are impressed by a 'tough' Julia at all, but are oozing the predictable protective male feelings towards the new superficial image of the Julia as vulnerable administrative assistant. Simply amazing what new rounded glasses and make-up can do. You want to put a consoling arm around her then sneak-feel her bosom, right?

Women are dismayed that men are so easily fooled. Women recognise Julia as a blokey woman. The sort who drinks beer while the jokes are told at the barbie, and doesn't go home alone.

The women in our lives would have tipped us off on feminine guile. But unfortunately they whispered in our deaf lugs and the 'thinking' was being done elsewhere.

Talk with a women, I am as prone to poor judgement concerning women as any other man. But my B.S. detector is working fine: so shine the spotlight on the political spin masters and all will be revealed. Just like when daylight hits Kings Cross.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 10 February 2013 12:30:39 PM
o sung wo well, no need for me to tell my opinion.
She is not my favorite, but note this,she has as much chance as Abbott of victory.
Against one another it will be a hard race.
Rudd however is making a run, he has every chance of pulling it off.
We, voters from all sides, should feel insulted by the election year masks every politician owns.
Gillard, if she retains the leadership, must stamp out her supporters, it was one of the power brokers, miss reading publics ability to see, who put the Rudd swearing film out.
Post Gillard, indeed post an election loss, Labors reform and rebirth will startle many.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 10 February 2013 1:41:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy