The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Abolish the States? Ignorance Rules the Day Again

Abolish the States? Ignorance Rules the Day Again

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Do be careful folks.

Local government is the most inefficient, incompetent & corrupt of the three tiers. I would not like to see any increase of power awarded to it.

One of the best things Newman has done is devolve hospital management to local boards. The people who live in the towns & cities will be sure there is never another Bundaberg hospital fiasco.

I have always been unable to understand how all the blame was laid on one incompetent doctor. The management, public servant career administrators, paid to manage the staff & the outcomes achieved were the guilty, & got off scott free. Until we make those we pay to do a job of government responsible for the result, no government is worth a pinch of you know what.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 10:57:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
During amalgamation here we had an administrator, because the council could not get on and were sacked by the state.
When it was time to hand over to an elected reps; The cry was to keep the administrator, answerable to the state govt;
Why can't the states run that way, being answerable to the fed govt;
Do away with state govt; and towns carry on as before.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 11:17:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SM, you and Belly have lots in common, a couple of dyed in wool conservatives. in fact I thing Belly is even more conservative than you. On social justice issues I detach a bit of the 'radical' in you, but not in Belly. Its only cynical political interest that has you two calling for the abolition of the Senate, get rid of those that would oppose us.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 11:23:35 AM
Hasbeen said;
no government is worth a pinch of you know what.

At least it has fertiliser value !
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 1:07:15 PM
22 million people, 3 tiers of government. Sounds wrong to me and in practice - too hard. A one third reduction seems a fine idea, now which one is the most trouble? We need national direction and good local infrastructure, anything else is a waste. So for me it's the Feds and bigger Councils. The senate can stay to keep them all in line.

Bye bye Barry, Campbell et all

Waterhole
Posted by Waterhole, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 1:47:15 PM
Paul,

Belly and I come from very different places, our similarity is both of us have lived long enough to see the consequences of the woolly idealist and populist policies of which the greens are so fond.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 22 January 2013 4:08:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy