The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What would you do?

What would you do?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
It seems to me that we are at an impasse. Politicians prefer to trade insults than get on with the job they were elected to do, governments on all levels are accused of mismanagement, tax payers are unhappy, there is community concern about a range of issues from immigration to infrastructure, welfare to corporate greed. Voters are disillusioned, for no matter which party ascends to power, promises are continually broken and the Australian citizen has very little say in policy decisions. There is an inordinate amount of complaining, very little pro-action and if discussions on this forum are anything to go by, we are destined to go round and round in circles with no real change in sight.

So, this is your opportunity to right the wrongs. Hypothetically, of course.

The Australian government, Federal and State (and local) are dissolved. Current political parties no longer exist. What sort of government would you create to run this country?

Would it be Federally based or State based?
How many tiers of government would you create?
How would they be elected?
What powers would they have?
How would you reform our taxation system?
What policies would you propose and how would they be implemented?
How would your new government deal with the bigger issues that seem to be worrying many people today – immigration, foreign ownership, trade agreements, welfare, corporate greed, environment and energy?

Remember, this is your vision and it can be as far removed from our current government system as you like.

Or, perhaps you believe our Westminster system is the best we can have. Why?
Posted by scribbler, Wednesday, 28 November 2012 7:02:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Federal only no state.
Introduce the American system of re call, the ability to remove members mid term or any time.
One vote one value, and remove the senate.
Let any party or group then run on its merits and the voters be heard.
My view both Liberal and Labor would survive.
That would not be bad in my view, we need both to be strong to keep each in line.
I remind each of us, my self included,we contribute to what we now have.
We defend the indefensible.
Pretending Tony Abbott is even worth considering as a leader.
Hiding the true nature of Gillard, while waiting for one of her knife welders to step up and tell us he can fix his handy work.
Greens? no team in history ever wasted its power, senators, more, Hysteria is the product of a team so very remote from middle Australia.
In the end?
Reality is we have what we always will have two party preferred and a shrinking but vote wasting watermelon greens.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 28 November 2012 10:37:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In terms of politics I'd probably only tinker with things like restricting the right to vote, though making voting optional would in large part take care of that issue, not everyone deserves a say and in a democracy it should be up to demagogues and candidates to educate their constituents and make sure they vote correctly.
I would legalise and remove all taxes on common recreational drugs and legalise manufacture and private production and sale of alchohol and tobacco, users of those products are surprisingly picky about quality so good, safe products would be popular and rubbish wouldn't sell.
Hmm, withdraw from U.N, cease all foreign aid, promote a world of multiple polarities instead of a unipolar or bipolar world, re invigorate the non aligned movement of nations and promote neutrality/anti imperialism. Abolish ASIO,ASIS and the Federal Police, go to a system of elected local law enforcement officials, including constables instead, so each ward or block would have it's own constables who were accountable to and embedded with the residents.
Doctors, Judges, teachers,religious leaders etc could be selected on merit at a local level and their training paid for by local council levies...I could go on all day really.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 28 November 2012 11:40:52 AM
No one who has ever lived in north Queensland, or probably north WA would ever agree to abolishing states. The north would not even see a doctor, or a road grader, if all power was centralised in the dreaded triangle, Sydney Melbourne Canberra.

Combined they waste more than half our earnings, but contribute nothing.

I can see a good argument for more states, & returning taxing power to the states. It would do the commonwealth public service, & pollies, a great deal of good to have to go begging to Queensland & WA for their dinner. A little lesson in humility would definitely help, particularly with the red head.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 28 November 2012 1:03:57 PM
This thread should be embraced by all.
After all most of us have no trouble in finding faults so why not answers?
Of the 2 posts after mine only worth while, in my view, is thought for Hasbeens more states not less, valid point.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 28 November 2012 4:38:24 PM
Literally place a central point onto the map of Australia & divide into 4 States. East, West, North , South Australia.
Those who don't like the State they fall into geographically, can always move. I agree with Belly we do need an opposition but as we wouldn't be an insurance company we wouldn't need a third Party. Greens & Pinks find yourselves another hole to crawl into where you can't do any damage & interfere with everyday things. The dividing borders could be by way of a Mono rail line as close to straight as the geography permits. Include a water main along the rail line as well.
From these lines we could then have a systematic grid for both development & natural habitat protection. All this would stimulate a good economy & I'm convinced the Interior of this great land could be settled in a sensible & sustainable way for many generations to come.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 28 November 2012 7:25:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy