The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What colour is your world?

What colour is your world?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Mine is bright purple.

It appears this year, in which we had received more than our average rainfall by the end of June, & then stuff all, some plants have done well, & others are suffering.

The mangoes are showing good fruit set, & some gum trees have flowered for the first time in years, but it is the Jacarandas, the Bohemias & the Bougainvillier that like it best. Every where you go around here the world is full of purple flowers. I have never seen Jacarandas so full of flowers, or the colour so vibrant.

We have one white Bohemia for contrast, but the silky oaks, poincianas, & my lovely Hibiscus are all suffering. What little flower they are producing is rather wishy washy in colour.

So even though the grass, in some places, is starting to crackle when you walk on it, the jacarandas are filling the sky with purple joy.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 8 November 2012 12:51:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah cut one down the other day I hate those purple flowers. They just turn into sludge and stink.

Stay tuned for my next post on what I ate for breakfast.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 8 November 2012 1:49:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
always amazed at the wonderful creativity of our Creator ( or random chance for those who deny Him). The roses are blooming!
Posted by runner, Thursday, 8 November 2012 2:15:10 PM
I love Jacarandas, and there are plenty where I live - and Bougainvilleas. Every now and then the conditions are right for a better than average display.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 8 November 2012 2:26:35 PM
Blue blue my world is blue, nope that’s a song.

I have two Jacarandas both under one foot tall but I have high hopes for them. I have a very tall but scraggly silky oak but my favourite is my swamp with its weird and wonderful flowers popping up in unexpected places. One surprise was oxygen weed which has lovely little cup shaped single white flowers that suddenly appear just above the surface. I think I have two bougainvillea’s... do they have big thorns?

A storm is on its way here and although one passed through quickly last night which set off a symphony of marsh frogs I think much more rain is needed for the local flora.

When I first arrived here I figured the locals just weren’t into gardening but then discovered there had been several years of drought and water restrictions holding them back. Since that eased off I’ve seen many front yards begin to bloom.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Thursday, 8 November 2012 4:10:24 PM
Hasbeen my garden is in trouble.
Well over average rain fall for 4 full years it looks bleak.
Black clay cracked as it it never rained.
Yet my bottle brush, reds pink and white took off.
Best flowers? eastern Rosella scaly breasted and the plain grey *you broke it bird* near as I can get to the call.
Turning the ground multi colored with the chewed off flowers.
Fruit no good except oranges, gave eleven freezer cotton shopping bags away so far that many to go, not counting hundreds to a neighbor to juice for the kids.
Stone fruit not this year.
Put all day lilleys in one survival bed, tough and in flower will make it
We need rain.gone from foot rot flats, even one dog the right color, to Simpson desert.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 8 November 2012 5:30:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy