The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Men and their Guns:

Men and their Guns:

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
Following on a most topical discussion, 'America and Firearms', a topic that was initially generated by 'BELLY',

Like most, I've heard academic arguement (from many eminent Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and legions of other 'ologists) all describing men who happen to enjoy the lawful use of F/A's. Individuals who seemingly, have a deep seated sexual inadequacy ?

Apparently, the F/A's 'power' represents some pseudo-phallic symbol of a kind, that epitomizes strong masculinity, virility or machismo.
Ostensibly, this is why men will strenuously resist any attempt to seize or otherwise remove their guns ?

Is this notion correct ? I don't know. However, may I relate an event I was involved in, before I retired...?

A young bloke about (19) committed suicide, using his Dad's single barrel shotgun, a cheap Boito. He sat in the (separate) toilet one afternoon, placed the gun in his mouth, and did the deed. I got the job, as 'case officer'. The matter was determined as suicide by the Coroner, and after the documentation was completed, I offered to convey the bereaved (estranged) father back to the family abode.

Usual practice, certain articles that may (at the time) prove to be items of an evidentiary nature, are generally returned to the owner, after all enquiries and court stipulations are determined and concluded. Police usually seek instructions from the owner or NOK, apropos the disposition of such property.

After we had some coffee, I asked the father if there was anything further I could assist him with. Clearly, he was a very sad and desolate man, having just returned from the Coroner's Court, and witnessing an Inquest into his Son's death.

He said no. As I was about to leave, he suddenly asked...Oh, when can I get my gun back ? This is the gun his Son used to blow the back of his head off !

I've attended many suicides in my career, heard many strange things said, when folk are deeply bereaved. This, my friends would take the cake ?

As I said at the outset; 'Men and their Guns'.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 6 September 2012 6:30:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wo you have hit a nerve.
The truth in what you say shouts at us.
Like men, by the big numbers dieing because they think men do not cry.
So lump in the body they understand should not be there, and they refuse to see a doctor.
After multiple deaths in a car truck wreck.
Folk insisting on bringing the blood covered goods home?
Lets hope the decline in gun ownership continues to keep them out of the hands of such folk.
And as you have said else ware.
Lets hope the randomness of such things is not suported by easy access to a gun.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 7 September 2012 5:24:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
People intent on killing themselves will find a way be it a gun,drugs,hanging or jumping from a cliff.

Govts as history shows is the biggest murderer and they need to brought under control,not the individual.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 7 September 2012 6:34:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My uncle had a sporting goods store in Arizona, one of the states with a laissez-faire attitude toward guns. A teenager came into the store one day wanting to buy a pistol. My uncle thought the kid was a bit weird and called the local sheriff. The sheriff asked if the kid had money. When my uncle said yes, the sheriff said, "No problem. Let him have the gun."
Posted by david f, Friday, 7 September 2012 9:27:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So you were once a cop o sung, bully for you. I suppose you think that gives you some right to insult those who weren't so anointed, or some insight to the thinking of others. Men who like guns have sexual inadequacies, does that go for the ones in uniform as well?

I have also heard some eminent academics, [god protect us from those fools], suggesting that "once a police man, never a man", but I would never believe that.

The other day I had some jumped up cop come to visit to decide if I should be issued with a new gun licence. I'm sure he would know, we've issued him with a gun. I guess it's not his fault, but he was a bit condescending.

He did come off his high horse a little when he saw a picture of a younger me standing beside the jet fighter, with a few guns & missiles, I used to be entrusted with. Perhaps he decided I could be trusted with the little pop gun I have to protect my young stock from the wild dogs our council do not control. They do control my dogs, they have to be locked up & useless for the job.

From what I hear of US cops & their guns, the public are safer with the crims, not many of the crims put 9 of the public in hospital with friendly fire wounds.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 7 September 2012 10:10:12 AM
"...friendly fire wounds...."

What an absolute load of b...locks. Around 31,000 gun murders and many more woundings in the US each year, and you're blaming friendly fire for their massive gun problem.

".....jet fighter, with a few guns and missiles...."

Wow, what a man.

Of course, I'd consider you a bit more manly if you ceased blowing your own trumpet ad nauseam.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 7 September 2012 10:22:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy