The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should murder come with the following sentence.

Should murder come with the following sentence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
In Parramatta, with no room for doubt, a Catholic institution has many dead unborn children buried.
Yes kick a Catholic is currency but this story is true.
And said to be true of monastery's all over the world.
Children born of Nuns and Priests, Girls in care and priests.
Abortion is not a 20th century invention.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 26 July 2012 4:07:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'In Parramatta, with no room for doubt, a Catholic institution has many dead unborn children buried.'

Yea Belly takes the focus off the corruption throughout the union movement. Must make you feel superior. Of course their has never been a union official molestor has there?
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 July 2012 5:18:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a tough one, as many of us harbour the belief that sentencing per se is too soft. Thus the perception of the average crim getting off far too lightly is perhaps valid.

The proposition, that if gaol terms are dramatically increased, it will provide a strong deterrent ? Certainly that's not my experience. I first entered a maximum security gaol (Long Bay) in mid 1969. Most inmates (convicted) were uniformly dressed in green, with brown boots or shoes. Discipline was reasonably strict. Movement about the gaol was strictly curtailed and controlled.

Just prior to my retirement, I saw inmates leisurely walking about the gaol, essentially unrestrained as to where they're going. Most wearing 'designer' running shoes and 'parts' of their green uniform, if they felt so inclined. There seemed to be an absence of any real discipline within the institution.

Speaking with several Officers I've known, they all bemoaned the fact, that they've simply capitulated control of the gaols. And at best, all that could be done, was keep 'em behind the main wall.

What a hell of an indictment, eh !

Any facade of discipline was certainly not evident, nor did it even form part of their official vocabulary. This particular situation could be squarely laid at the feet of our illustrious 'do-gooders' and academics.

Neither of these erudite groups need work there, nor are they held responsible when there's an escape or death in custody, more often as a result of THEIR inconceived policies.

Gaol, in any, and all of it's forms, represents absolutely NO deterrent whatsoever, sadly.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 26 July 2012 5:29:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
murder in the aboriginal communities is at a much higher rate than the rest of the population. Domestic violence is at epidemic rates. Often the perpretrators must do a white mans sentence (easy for most of them) and then have family members speared as payback. This is reality today. Who thinks this is fair?
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 July 2012 5:33:37 PM
Lexi, I agree most murders happen in very heated circumstances and that premeditated murders are committed by people who have either planned not to get caught or don’t care about themselves after they’ve done what they are totally driven to do.

But I see your lock-em-up-and-throw-the-key-away desire as not sitting at all well with the rest of your post.

I would have thought that you’d advocate very close scrutiny of each case and very careful determination of the appropriate sentence.

Afterall, if someone commits premeditated murder, they may well have been driven to it by some very strong wrongdoing imposed upon them or there may be some other very strong psychological, sexual, or eliminate-the-competition type of factors involved.

If one of my family was murdered, I’d want to know the exact circumstances and whether my relative had in any way exacerbated the situation before I’d say ‘lock up the perpetrator for life and throw away the key’.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 26 July 2012 9:00:53 PM
Ludwig writes

'If one of my family was murdered, I’d want to know the exact circumstances and whether my relative had in any way exacerbated the situation before I’d say ‘lock up the perpetrator for life and throw away the key’.'

Maybe the families of the victim should get a say in the punishment/forgiveness/leniency or whatever. They are the most affected.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 July 2012 9:28:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy