The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What's Your Favourite Book?

What's Your Favourite Book?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
In desperation, Poirot fumbles about for a topic that excludes 1) the Carbon Tax and 2) Australian political machinations.

I haven't quite decided yet what's my favourite work of literature, and I'll add that at certain times of our lives we're apt to be moved by works that we find less powerful as we grow older.

I'm not as well read as I'd like to be, I have numerous second-hand classics on my bookshelves that I've yet to read, but I like reading (although it tends to lull me to sleep, which is frustrating)

(Poirot reckons his favourite 'non-fiction" work is "Murder on the Orient Express", but he's an egotistical fellow so I think it's best to just humour him on that one : )
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 3 July 2012 10:54:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a good idea, Poirot; to talk about something else for a bit.
My favourite book is 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius. A well thumbed copy has been my conscience and my travelling companion through forty years of military, corporate and literary life.
My favourite fiction work? Well, that's a tough one, but I confess to having been a Tolkien fan since I was a teenager.
But then there's the incomparable Tim Winton... Ummmm...
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 9:36:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Poirot,

As a teenager I was often at odds with my parents. Then I read "The Way of All Flesh" by Samuel Butler. I found out that I was not the only one who felt that way as the young man in the book in another time in another country felt much the same way. Recently I read "The Spinoza Problem", a novel by Yalom. Spinoza was excommunicated by his Jewish community but was at odds with the outside community as he rejected any form of supernatural belief and the historical narratives of both Judaism and Christianity. My wife and I at this time are reading other works about and by Spinoza. Also recently read "The Rainbow" by D H Lawrence. In that book Ursula Brangwen also questioned and was alienated. The lives of quiet desperation that most men lead are relieved when we can enter into the fictional life of others who feel the same. It is even better when we can be close to another living person who feels the same.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 9:37:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Too difficult a question. A bit like asking who's your favourite child. There have been so many over the years – favourite books, not children – and for many different reasons.

However, I decided on The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B by J. P. Donleavy which rather dramatically opened my mind to the world of possibilities beyond that in Bible study class.
Posted by WmTrevor, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 10:29:19 AM
Good idea Piorot. A bit of light stuff for a change.
I have a library of around two & a half thousand books. I must admit though most of them are Technical books on anything from metal engineering, chemistry, physics, woodwork, computers, craft, general history, military history, all types of religions, their theories & conspiracies, Some really weird stuff like ZON & such like. & of course collections of various Magazines like Practical electronics/mechanics, etc.

I have very few novels. The ones I like are; "Hitchers Guide to the Galaxy", Tofflers "Future Shock" which I read some 25 years ago. I still haven’t got around to the sequel as yet. one day. Zen & the art of Motorcycle Maintainance" by Robert Pirsig. Patience, understanding & a soul needed for this one. Once again I still haven’t read the sequel "Lila" as yet. I did start it once though. I got about four chapters into "Ulysses" once. Also heavy going but I'll will finish it one day. The classics I read as a child "The Odyssey & the Iliad" the children’s version & later the full books. "Horatio at the Bridge" The children’s version as a child now MaCawleys 589 line version.

One book I have been involved in writing is "Blue Lanyard Red Banner" by Lex McAulay also I get a mention in his "First to Fight". There is another book called "When the Buffalo Fight". It's a no names, no pack drill type of book about a Company in Vietnam. (B Company, 1 R.A.R) My Platoon in particular. Ssssh! It doesn’t mention our Company, but everything that happened to us is mentioned, some of the names have been reversed. First name for last etc & parodies of names.
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 10:54:04 AM
WmTrevor,

I agree that the question is too hard. However, it seemed like an attention-grabbing title (although, Ive often wondered which book I'd choose if I was allowed only "one" prior to being banged up in solitary for twenty years : )

Anthony,

I don't have Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, but I do have a sizable passage from it (which I will look up later on today) He does strike me as a wise and measured man.

David f.,

"The Way of All Flesh" is one of those classics sitting on my shelf that I haven't yet got to. I'll say, however, that it is in my top ten for brilliant and profound titles.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 4 July 2012 10:56:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy