The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > So what is a fair share of tax

So what is a fair share of tax

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
While watching weekend agenda, Mr Alb, while defending the MRRT repeatedly said, all labor wanted was for the big miners 'to pay their fair share' of tax.

So what is 'their fair share' I ask.

Does he and his colleagues feel the banks are paying their fair share?

Or, do they feel the many thousands of people, selling at markets all over the country, every weekend, are paying their fair share of tax?

Or what about the banks, or the likes of ,Telstra, who by the very nature of 'outsourcing work' to the likes of India, are they paying their fair share?

At least the miners are employing people here in Oz and they are all generating incomes, who in turn generate incomes for many in the community, all of which pay tax at applicable rates, as set by the governments.

So I ask Mr Alb and the labor party.

What do you consider to be a 'fair share' when it comes to paying tax?
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 5 June 2012 7:47:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rechtub please assist me, some time ago a miserable beggar put up threads telling us back packers are not paying tax.
Taking our jobs, enjoying our sunshine and riping the tax system off.
Now these big mining company's, saints every one of them Lord bless them all.
Digging holes and removing all that stuff!
And guess what?
Some beggar wants them to contribute!get a stick and chase em under the veranda!
Why? they leave the holes for us!
A tax on super profits is less than it is worth to our country.
Rudd's return was brave and about right.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 5 June 2012 1:36:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, last time I looked, the miners were paying royalties.

Now if these royalties are wrong, then is that the fault of the miners?

It's not so much the tax I am talking about here, so much as the words 'fair share'.

Mining companies not only pay tax, they also generate millions, if not billions in tax, with those they employ, contractors they engage and support businesses they support.

In fact, where I invested some 8 years ago, land has increased from $7,500 per lot, to $240,000 per lot.

I assume the tax has also increased (stamp duty).

Houses from $60,000 to $400,000, more tax.

When their share price increases, or their dividends increase, guess what, the recipient pays more tax.

So I say again, if the tax they now pa is unfair, wha is their fair share and, why are others exempt from this, especially the likes of Telstra, who takes their business elsewhere at every oportunity.

Care to enlighten little ol I'll informed me!
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 5 June 2012 1:50:54 PM
If I were share farming someone's land the landlord would receive 18-20% of the gross production. And I'd be expected(rightly) to maintain or improve it's productive capability.

If indeed this was a valid comparison with mining, the mining industry should consider itself getting off lightly with the typical 8% or less royalty payment - without the question of resource sustainability.
Posted by rojo, Tuesday, 5 June 2012 2:48:06 PM
So why do mining co; need subsidized fuel.
With Gina collecting one mill / hour, she needs a tax break, according to sum.
Mining has a capacity to pay, just as China has a capacity to pay.
Mining has raped the east of skilled employees, so there is an even bigger reason for them to pay.
To slow mining would be beneficial to us all.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 5 June 2012 3:06:04 PM
Nothing so far as tax is concerned would be more fair than a flat tax !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 5 June 2012 4:26:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy