The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Paul Keating you star.

Paul Keating you star.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
If only we had conviction politicians as we once had in Australia.

After watching the Four Corners program about the Mabo High Court decision, I couldn't help but feel, that on the issue of native title, a statesman like Paul Keating was a giant among dwarfs. His forward thinking helped to settle this issue for once and for all and allowed all Australians to live with a sense of dignity.

The program itself has the value of hindsight and makes for a very interesting snapshot of history. The true and fair dinkum Paul Keating at his best. A Prime Minister that could get the trust of all parties over an issue of such magnitude is a rare thing indeed.

Ah those were the days.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/05/03/3494661.htm
Posted by thinker 2, Wednesday, 9 May 2012 5:21:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We part company on this one.Keating oversaw another recession and allowed our country to be raped yet again.He also sold off the last vertiges of our sovereignity ie the Commonwealth Bank.

I have nothing but distain for him.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 10 May 2012 12:33:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the FWA report is acted on by the police, we may yet have another labor politician of conviction.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 10 May 2012 5:09:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SM will always swipe at every opportunity.
And sadly the Gillard lead ALP will always provide the ammunition.
Thinker 2 I too watched the doco.
And too did so with pride.
My memory however reminds me PK was not loved by many, his actions the end of the world,in conservatives eyes.
Once more the sky did not fall,as it will not on carbon tax.
But we have fallen a very long way from PK Gillard and those backing her,deaf to the thoughts and opinions of the ALP foot soldiers, in fact claiming ownership and relegating us to floor sweeping,are in another paddock.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 10 May 2012 6:46:08 AM
Hello there BELLY...

There was no doubt that Paul Keating somewhat polarised many people, both with his style and his obvious statesmanship qualities. Personally I'll leave the merits of that particular discussion to others far more qualified to provide a more finite determination.

Myself, I've only had the one occasion that I can claim to have been 'up close and personal' with the redoubtable Paul Keating.
That was the first year after he had adequately dealt with the leadership of Bob Hawke.

Though, I was with him for no more than seventy or eighty minutes, it was during this brief period that I found him to be perhaps one of the rudest, most arrogant and loathsome individuals that I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. And at that time, it was I that had the (sole) carriage of his personal safety, and yet he did absolutely nothing to aid me in providing that service.

Moreover as a footnote, Mr Malcolm Fraser was yet another, possessing a similar disposition, though not quite as arrogant, but equally as aloof and bumptious to the extreme.

What is it they say...? Birds of a feather, or something ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 10 May 2012 4:59:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
allowed all Australians to live with a sense of dignity.
thinker2,
what evidence do you base that on ? Where is mine ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 10 May 2012 5:59:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy