The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Nuclear weapons for Australia.

Nuclear weapons for Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
"This is the Asian century", "America's position as THE world power is fading." we are told.

Given this, the pathetic state of our armed forces, and one of the lowest expenditure as a % of GDP on defence in the world, it is easy to conclude that we are facing a growing threat in our region, and our ability to rely on Uncle Sam is wearing thin.

Until now, our close bond with the US has meant that we were safe from predators, but the Asian tigers don't see us as allies, and are unlikely to offer Australia any protection. While we are unlikely ever to want to mount an offensive campaign, we need (like the porcupine) to be sufficiently prickly to ensure that any attempt at aggression carries an obvious price.

While I am expecting a chicken little approach from those for whom the N word is anathema, but I invite all to comment on whether Australia needs its own nuclear umbrella, or what are the alternatives?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 22 April 2012 1:19:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SM...if I didnt know any better, I think your trying to pick a fight:)

Its an Asian world, and as Yoda would say....problem you have, or NOT.

cc
Posted by planet 3, Monday, 23 April 2012 12:22:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Planet 3,

Here is the scenario, a strong military takes at least a decade or two to build, but problems where we need it can arise much faster. The second world war is a prime example, where other than relying on America, Australia would have been soundly thrashed by the Japanese. China is building up it military, including submarines and air craft carriers which are designed to project force, and not for defence.

The comparison to insurance is a good one. Regular payments to avoid a huge life altering catastrophe. While everyone is good neighbours now, what do we do if things change in 2030? If we don't have big brother, how do we make it unattractive to invade?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 23 April 2012 5:47:34 AM
Thankfully planet 3 comes from a minority.
An almost invisible one.
I am told, by ex Navy men we have them.
If not we should.
Considering North Korea, India, Pakistan, have them.
We will hear from put the guns away folk.
I would ask they look at what Britain did in the years building to ww2.
And what Germany was doing.
Then at how very close we came to total defeat.
Unfortunately, some great folk tend to forget wars start after one side see,s the other as weaker than them.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 April 2012 6:05:24 AM
The very reason Iran, Pakistan, and North Korea are developing Nukes and the missiles to deliver them is for defence, to make the cost of invasion intolerably high, against the perceived threat of the US and India. The dangers with these unstable regimes are that a border dispute could be escalated out of control, or that the regimes could collapse and the weapons fall into the hands of terrorists.

With the effective collapse of the Australian Navy, who can't get most of their ships out of dock let alone mount a defence of the realm there is a real risk that our destiny might not be of our making.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 23 April 2012 6:19:08 AM
China is the problem it's takeover by stealth, with all this high pay mining our defense force is depleted. What is wrong with a grey army.
Nookes may very well be on our land, just not known.
A shared base in the north won't do any harm.
America still has plenty of money for defense, I think Australia's defense budget would be better of in the hands of America in exchange for our defense requirements
Posted by 579, Monday, 23 April 2012 10:22:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy