The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > War with Iran

War with Iran

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
We dont want war with Iran. We dont need wars or mass violence of any kind. We need a non violent world.

My first step suggestion is that international law should outlaw violence in every situation, with very limited exceptions - reasonable and immediate self defence & reasonable police measures, providing the force used is proportionate. This new world law should apply to every person, group and government, no opting out, a peremptory norm of law. It should extend from the purely domestic level to the international level, of superior force to every other law.

From this measure, the necessary machinery can be established by international agreement to enforce the law & prevent further violence anywhere in the world, also to mediate or adjudicate on claims of violence in breach of the law.

We particularly do not need a war with Iran. Iran was once the centre of world civilization & Zoroastrianism. It has a great culture going way back. Think of the poetry of Hafiz & Sadi. It has many educated & civilised people in Iran & in the Diaspora. It is now in an unhealthy state & needs to come back into the family of nations, international law and fundamental human rights so that it can be a responsible and fully participating member of the global community. It requires an adjustment of governmental attitudes, a more peaceable and tolerant approach and some vision. This can be done to the benefit of all Iranians. Diplomacy is not enough. Threats of violence will not do this. It needs some common sense by its leaders & understanding by others. The leaders have to be persuaded that Iran's best interests are to rejoin the world community & become an active part in making the world a better place. We must not attack Shi'i Muslim religion, as this is in its pure form a great religion to be respected. Iran & the Farsi language have a great future. Iran will become a world leader again. But a war will put this back & lead to much suffering, both in Iran & elsewhere.
Posted by G R, Wednesday, 21 March 2012 4:17:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This was why the United nations was formed after world war two. It was hoped that countries would combine to outlaw war, but the globe is made up of so many conflicting cultures and ambitions and attitudes and religions, with democracies and dictatorships, it makes it very tribal. So what to us seems a simple solution in theory has proved to be almost impossible to achieve in practice. Listen to the speakers in the General Assembly and it illustrates how far apart we all are. We can't even agree about what is to be done in Syria.
Posted by snake, Thursday, 22 March 2012 8:28:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GR: We dont need wars or mass violence of any kind. We need a non violent world.

I, for one, couldn't agree more.

GR: My first step suggestion is that international law should outlaw violence in every situation, etc,

Somewhat nieve, but a sensible suggestion never-the-less. I would hope that this suggestion would apply to the Islamic agressors not just the West.

GR: This new world law should apply to every person, group and government, no opting out,

How are you going to get the thousands of Islamic groups to agree to this. Oh, & the Yanks, who only like to recognize their own soventry.

Wait a minute... Hasn't this already been done to some extent. There is a World Law Court. Each Country has exceptions they won't agree to. eg; The Yanks won't agree to one of their citizens being dealt with by any body but their own Law Courts & the miriad of Islamic Terrorist Groups can't be contacted. Eg; Bin Laden. The Russians still hate the Yanks & their attitude is, "What ever you're for we're against." The Chinese haven't changed their position on the world for two & a half thousand years. China is the centre of the World so every Country must Kowtow to China.

RG, this is a great idea in theory mate but, unworkable, unfortunatly. Unless you can suggest some way that every country can be persuaded to act in a responsible manner. I ain't gonna happen.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 22 March 2012 9:40:04 AM
GR you are falling into the old trap, rightly you say:
" We need a non violent world. My first step suggestion is that international law should outlaw violence in every situation."
But then you go on to say "with very limited exceptions - reasonable and immediate self defence & reasonable police measures, providing the force used is proportionate." Now all wars and violent acts are justified. Country A justified their invasion of country B, as country B was being unreasonable with their oil embargo on country A. The police had to open fire on those protesters in the city square, they were getting out of hand, the police said the situation required reasonable police action.
You can not have a universal law, and then qualify it with a series of exceptions. All actions will be justified by these exceptions. On another thread I was asked if it was justified in killing Hitler on the grounds of his evilness, I answered no, why because I thought he was a 'good bloke' no he was an evil b. My reason was once you justify the killing of Hitler, you then justify the killing of Himmler, another evil b, then Goering another evil b, next thing is you justify killing 20 million people on the grounds they are all evil b's.(p/s I know Hitler, Himmler and Goering all committed suicide,) For that post I was accused of being pro NAZI. They could have asked me if the Romans were justified in killing Christ, the answer would still be no. I see no case for the deliberate killing of another human being, be it murder or state sanctioned murder, its all murder.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 22 March 2012 10:26:34 AM
The world is doing its best with diplomacy. We can't have a country with a dictatorial govt; with WMD.
So far diplomacy has failed.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 22 March 2012 10:40:23 AM
There will be an anti-war protest on this Saturday 24th March outside the Sydney Town Hall at 12:00 noon.

The way to stop wars is to have a proper constitution which Obama has trashed.Congress is up in arms because Obama now says he does no need their approval to expand the wars.Obama is taking his orders from the UN and NATO.This is their world Govt in action controlled by the financial elites.

I don't think they will attack Iran yet.The more pressing issues are containing China in Africa.The want to invade Sudan and Uganda to starve China of energy.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 22 March 2012 10:47:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy