The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Euthanasia debate on SBS

Euthanasia debate on SBS

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I watched the SBS debate on euthanasia tonight and all
I can say is "Christopher Pyne -get stuffed"

I really don't care what you or your Govt claim is legal
or illegal. Its an absolute disgrace, that some Aussies
have to travel to Switzerland, to die with dignity.

A young whippersnapper like you can think what he likes,
but some of us are tiered of the Catholic influence on
liberal politics.

The Catholics might well claim that suffering is dignified,
I happen to disagree. I care more about the suffering of
my dog, then most seem to care about human suffering.
When her time comes, my dog will die peacefully and without
pain, unlike many humans.

Shame on this Govt for not allowing people to make free choices
about their lives, which is what liberalism should be all about.

You have certainly lost my vote.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 3 April 2007 10:42:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Yabby, I too watched the SBS Insight programme on Euthanasia and was totally disgusted with the obvious Religious Right (perhaps that should be rite) who peddled their own theological convictions about life and death without a thought for the people who wanted to make up their own minds over what they wanted to do with their own life. If I am of a sound mind, how dare someone else make it up for me and prosecute anyone who helps me or gives me advice on how to relieve my suffering, should it come to pass. The excuse that political legislation could not drawn up to legitimately cover any deceptive exploitation, is utterly ridiculous.
Posted by snake, Wednesday, 4 April 2007 10:00:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Snake, thanks for your post, I fully agree with you.

If Abbott, Andrews, Pyne, Pell and others, think its noble that
they be tortured by nature on their deathbeds, well thats their
choice.

My point is, they have no right to force their religious dogma
down the throats of the rest of us, more normal people.

Last I saw, by far the majority of Australians are for voluntary
euthanasia.

Politicians are meant to represent the overall view of their
constituents, not force their religious dogma down our throats.

Hopefully some of those politicians and political operatives who
are forcing our most frail to suffer on their deathbeds, will get
their own share of medicine, when their turn comes. Serves them
right for their lack of compassion and arrogance.

Shame on them.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 4 April 2007 10:11:23 PM
One way to bring some sense and compassion to the present unjust situation:

"Too 'cruel' to jail pair for killing son
Wednesday Apr 4 16:36 AEST

A Sydney couple who killed their blind, disabled son out of love and desperation were released on good behaviour bonds on Wednesday after a judge ruled it would be "cruel" to jail them.

Prosecutors had called for prison terms for Margaret and Raymond Sutton, who pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of their 28-year-old son, Matthew.

But Supreme Court Justice Graham Barr said the Suttons had devoted their lives to Matthew's care and "even the last act was one born of love for him".

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=167784&_cobr=optus

In another trial a few years ago, the doctor and two relatives of a deceased person were charged with murder. The circumstances were such that it appeared likely that they had been involved in an act of merciful voluntary euthanasia. The jury acquitted the defendants, and the prosecution declined to appeal. The prosecution must have realised what they were up against.

I know that if I was on a jury hearing such a case, I would never support a "guilty" verdict, regardless of the circumstances, and I would do my very best to convince other jury members to side with me on this. With approx 70/80% of Australians known to support voluntary euthanasia, automatic verdicts of not guilty could become the norm, and would be generally seen as a wonderful example of people power.
Posted by Rex, Friday, 6 April 2007 3:52:01 PM
Good to hear that our legal system hasnt been completely over-run by religious ignorance . . . . . yet.
Posted by RigPig, Saturday, 7 April 2007 1:36:53 AM
I too was disgusted by Christopher Pyne's attitude. Not only did I disagree with his stand that euthanasia was wrong and that "he would never support it" (indicating a closed mind, not willing to listen to any argument, no matter what), but his conceated attitude.

He vertually said that Australians are generally not smart enough to know what they really want (80% of Australians in polls support euthanasia); they elect wise politicians (like hime) to govern us and give us what we need, even if it is not what we think we need. How patronising!
Posted by Dave Clarke, Saturday, 7 April 2007 6:15:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy