The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Rob Oakshots Private Bill

Rob Oakshots Private Bill

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All
Oakshot has before the house a private members bill.
It proses a regional solution to the refugee issue.
A follow up from the Bali regional groups talks.
It would let Australia , maybe other country's , send refugees for processing to country who are a signature to that group.
Some 50 plus nations.
We currently are bleeding funds and increasing boats.
No end in sight, both Conservative/Liberal, and Labor share the blame.
And sneaking around under their feet, like a nasty little dog snapping and snarling, effectively keeping the boats coming are the Greens.
Conservatives will scream Labor did it, in part they did.
But Labor took the high moral ground in conceding to the wishes of Abbott, he then changed his wants.
It surely is time, for solutions not harping about the past and who is and was wrong, both sides share the blame.
I Would ask this, how is Australia served by a continuation of these boats.
And will CONSERVATIVES AND LABOR get our interests first and deal the minority greens out on this issue.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 16 March 2012 4:37:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
He'll probably betray you lot this time round.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 17 March 2012 8:54:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indy your comment adds nothing to the subject.
Unless the further evidence of your lack of understanding is counted.
We have a problem,a National one.
Few would not be aware this issue divides us, I am not claiming minority views should not be considered.
In fact if all views do not have value free speech can not exist.
So the Greens have every right to their view.
As do those within the ALP and Liberal party.
Some great men and women out side politics too hold similar views, refugees deserve better.
However, just as the views they hold need consideration the majority's wants and wishes surely do too.
John Winston Howard, like him or not, won elections by reading publics wants on this issue.
The proposal before the Parliament seems to be a regional one, supported by over 50 country's.
We must not bog down in who is to blame, it changes nothing.
Abbott wants, or tells us he wants, to defie Indonesia's wishes, turn the boats back at sea.
He will not do that in office.
Both sides want offshore processing, it is clear most Australians do.
If this issue was not of eminence use to the opposition as a weapon , I think they would agree with it.
Billions of our dollars spent, hundreds of deaths at sea, we are told.
A solution is the needed out come.
In time as Liberals take power remember, they will need and use something not far from this.
I hope one day Conservatives posing as Liberals, the same crowd who defame Labor as being owned by the greens, stop pandering to greens, only they win while Abbott's ambition rules over good policy.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 17 March 2012 12:01:11 PM
Belly,

"But Labor took the high moral ground in conceding to the wishes of Abbott, he then changed his wants."

Absolute rubbish. Labor conceded nothing. Having come up with the Malaysian solution that made the pacific solution look like a picnic, and having failed, it was always their way or nothing. Labor had the choice of the coalition solution with a proven track record, or that of the greens, and they chose the greens.

The pacific solution is always available when Labor has the courage to swallow their pride.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 17 March 2012 1:11:43 PM
Dear Belly,

Thanks for this thread.

Both political parties support offshore processing
of asylum seekers. It's time that they both took
a constructive approach and
saw this implemented through law.

If the Coalition doesn't support Rob Oakeshott's
Private Bill - they should:
1) Put up amendments to the Bill.

Or -

2) Bring in some detailed legislation of their own.

That is, if they are serious about the national interest.

The debate will continue on March 19th. It will be
interesting to see what the final result will be.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 17 March 2012 1:22:24 PM
refugees deserve better.
Belly,
If everyone thought the way I think then there wouldn't be any refugees. As to refugees deserving better I agree but how much better I ask. So much better that the hosts are expected to bow to their every whim ?
So much better that our coffers get emptied to please them ? I have absolutely no reservation in helping a refugee but I will not give toward & aid a silent invasion of this country.
I am all for not having refugees in the first place but hey, who listens.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 17 March 2012 1:31:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy