The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The byproduct of mining

The byproduct of mining

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Well I was the first to say no to the unfair mining tax, but I have to say, something has to be done about the way these companies keep taking away staff and making it near impossible for some industries to survive, outside of mining.

I have recently retired from retail, after some 35 odd years, and I can tell you, that is a very sorry sector indeed.

They simply cannot compete on wages and conditions and, the likes of Coles and wollies knows this, and they also know it's just a matter of time before the competition (small retailers) are a distant memory.

Hospitality and tourism are the same, they simply can compete with the 2 on 2 off being offered at many mine sites today.

Nor can they compete with the $35 to $50 per hour (basic rate) being offered out there.

To simply keep taxing companies is in my view unjust, so instead, perhaps a levy should be imposed, not a tax on profits, but a levy, and this levy should be applied to the payrolls of any provider of staff to the mines, both internal and external.

These levy funds should then be used to subsidize wages in the non mining sector so these non miners can afford to run thier businesses.

This should entice some to stay home and work, as many today leave their families in the quest of the huge dollar.

Of cause this may put preasure on miners to increase wages, but as they increase wages, so to do the levies increase.

Either way, we have to come up with something to stop what is becoming a very real problem, and just another tax won't cut the mustard, as it won't deal with the two speed economy effecting many small, medium and large businesses out there in the non mining sector.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 12:47:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rechtub, mate, I just can not understand your point.
Free enterprise, not just a word, but a basic requirement in Democracy's.
While as Churchill said Democracy may not be perfect it is far better than anything else.
Workers are small business people, selling the only products they have, time and skill.
Mining, the very thing keeping us from becoming a third world country, gives more than it takes.
I have seen you in print here complaining about unemployment?
Now about workers shortages bought about by the reason we survived the GFC.
I would be more than interested to find why you think the tax is unfair, unemployment too high, and miners taking? workers.
Is unfair
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 5:18:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm over people like you, rehctub. Constantly bleating the government need to do something. The """Only""" thing the government needs to do is p!ss of out of our way and out of our lives! We don't need anymore stupid levies or taxes, what's the diff' anyway?

We already have the most stupid tax in the world, Payroll Tax. We tax people for employing people, how smart is that?

I hope you're past breeding age, and if not, please consider not doing so, breeding that is!
Posted by RawMustard, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 7:07:11 PM
Another by-product of mining is desensitising social aspects of life. It's all about money, more money & even more money. On top of this many nearby communities cop the negative social outfall from many single men causing havoc with the lives of many families by not stopping at married women. Supply of grog to very young girls is another by-product.
Flying in-out also disrupts the family life of the workers. Mining used to be a community building industry but it's now just blatant exploitation in every aspect.
And, yes, it won't be all that long before it falls into heap when Australian resources become too expensive to export. As with all other bandwagons this one too will derail.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 7:25:20 PM
Well il bet that's a load off raw mustard, it's just a pity for you that I abide by the rule of sticks and stones.
Nice rant anyway!
BTW, the levy I have proposed will only effect mining companies and those who provide labor for them, so what's the worry.

As for pay roll tax, I'm with you on that one. Most likely the most stupid tax ever thought of, punishing people for employing to many people.

Belly, there will be little left of free enterprise if something is not done about the imbalance between the mining sector (and those who service it) and the rest of the country.

Indi, the FIFO is being replaced to some extent with companies ( and individuals) paying huge rents instead.

Moranbah is a fine example.

A house there rents for around $3000 per week, while the same house in the suburbs of Brisbane rents for about $400, while one in a non mining remote town rents for about $120 per week, that's if anyone wants it.

Now the problem with this of cause is that the locals can no longer afford to rent in their home town.

Perhaps a levy could be charged on these rental houses taken up by miner as well.

It is hardly fair that locals can't afford the houses and non mining businesses can't hold staff.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 8:53:42 PM
*A house there rents for around $3000 per week, while the same house in the suburbs of Brisbane rents for about $400,*

Well there is your answer, Rehctub. Build transportables where
the unemployed are and cart them up to where they are paying 3 grand
a week. A whole new industry for small business!
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 9:33:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy