The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is the new feminism more sexist than the old patriarchy?

Is the new feminism more sexist than the old patriarchy?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Even under the old patriarchy where there were many advantages to being a man, there were also always many advantages in being a woman. Women didn’t have to leave their children, men did all the really hard, dirty and dangerous work. There was never a danger that a woman would have to go down the mines, go out on the fishing boats in storms or pick up the sanny pans. She would never have to leave her children for months or even years at a time to find work, let alone go off to war and die in the mud, blood, vomit and diarrhoea, etc.

The new feminism however seeks to remove all disadvantages of being a woman while retaining all the disadvantages of being a man. While there were always disadvantages for both sexes under the old system, under the new system there are to be disadvantages only for one sex.
(Cont)
Posted by Rob513264, Saturday, 31 March 2007 11:36:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wellll Rob :) welcome to the Biblical understanding of male female gender roles..

So glad to see you questioning the 'liberty' which feminazi's want us to believe they are offering.

Yes.. blokes (and females) had identifiable roles connected to their gender. Take that away and you have taken step 1 to social disintegration and cultural decay.

No ? well my much used illustration of the Yor Yuront of cape York who were decimated by the introduction of the steel axe should put that to bed. Male identity was INTRICATELY tied up with the ownership of and manufacture of the stone axe. Many subtle male relationships and status were derived by the manufacture process and the procurement of raw materials.

No one giving out "superior" steel axes had a clue how much damage they were doing because they didn't understand the culture.

In Feminism we have some reactionary victims of abusive fathers (like Mary Wolstencroft) taking a stand which attracts a life of its own in time and becomes a movement. It even got to the point of outright terrorism and the attempted or threatened bombing of the English Parliment. (hmmm maybe this was in reality bombing a symbol of an abusive father.)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 1 April 2007 8:10:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rob513264, it probably depends which part of feminism you are comparing with which part of historical (and for BD's sake current) patriarchy.

Feminism like every other grouping comes in a range of attitudes and strengths.

Many in the middle want equality but we hear more from the extremes. I read William Farrell's myth of male power recently and one of the issues he goes into at length is the draft and that no country has the same combat requirements on women that they place on men. Searching elsewhere I found evidence that some feminist groups while opposed to the draft have supported the idea that where it exists women should be subjected to it to the same degree that men are.

There are feminists who want equility, unfortunately they don't tend to get the publicity that the extremists get.

There are aspects of feminism which are freeing men up, the idea that men should lose contact with kids post seperation because they have had the reponsibity of being the breadwinner is freeing men from that responsibility, it becomes legitimate for men to choose to work less to spend more time with their kids. I think that time will show that when traditional responsibilities are used against men on a large scale men will find the burden of those responsibilities weighs less heavily on our shoulders.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 1 April 2007 8:44:21 PM
Without the pill societies were more reluctant to send women to war because they may have been pregnant. This may also explain the women first in the lifeboats attitude that prevailed in the past. The man would die but his children might live on.

I really dont like the reverse sexism that exsists in a lot of adds these days where the man is made out to be dumb or stupid. Although I am a women it irritates me and I wish they'd come up with something more innovative.

The feminists have bought about a devaluing of the status of motherhood and glorified male occupations. Now as we have an ever aging poplulation and have noone to man the stations and are in danger of being swamped by other races as we become a dying race it is obvious that the providing of children for the nation would have been of more beneifit than women doing work that could be done by men.

Haaving said that I'm not advocating 10children for each family maybe just four and had younger so they grow up and enter the workforce earlier. Men however helped cause this exodus of women from motherhood. Because they were expected to work seven days a week with no annual holidays and no pay. It was in fact a form of slave master relationship when you had to ask your husband for a few dollars to even buy something as simple as a milkshake. Women who had been through it instructed their daughters to have a career instead.

Make motherhood a paid job with every second week-end off while her husband minds the children and access to back-up child care when not
feeling well. Make it an attractive job with at least a basic income and women may choose to return to it.
I read somewhere once that payroll tax was intended to be used as a wage for women but the politicians decided they'd rather use it for other things.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 1 April 2007 11:43:30 PM
(…inued)
Sorry about delay in posting second half of OP but got caught by 350 word rul.

Case in point. Some time ago Pru Goward was all over the media touting the fact that women do 15% more housework than men and protesting this iniquity. At about the same time I heard a feminist on the radio making derisive comments about men complaining about a lack of recognition for doing all the really dangerous work in the culture. I remember her words, ‘and I wracked my brains trying to think of all the hidden dangers in a board room. [laughter]’

Ok I thought, well a reasonable guide to danger in the workplace would be workplace fatalities. Firstly, I have to say that getting sexually differentiated info on work place fatalities was like filleting a dinosaur. The number of enquiries I had to make and leads I had to follow to finally find the info was extraordinary.

It turned out that men are 2560% more likely to die at work than women are – the report authors commented that if the figures did not include MVA’s to and from work the figure would be much, much higher.

While 15% is a significant margin and housework is an important issue it pales into insignificance when compared to 2560% and actually dying at work. So, I turn to the Sex Discrimination Commissioner with my research and ask her what she plans to do about this sexual discrepancy – the answer was ‘nothing’ – she referred me to WorkCover [no laughter].

This is just one example of how the new feminists, through the SDC no less, want to get rid of all disadvantages for women but couldn’t give a firefly’s fart about disadvantages for men (ironically it means the Sex Discrimination Commissioner is actually practicing sexual discrimination – sigh…).

I assert that the quest to remove all disadvantages for one sex while doing nothing to remove any of the disadvantages for the other sex is more sexist than the sexism of the past – how thinkest thou?
Posted by Rob513264, Monday, 2 April 2007 1:08:25 AM
sharkfin,

“ The man would die but his children might live on.”

And so, incidentally of course, would their mother.

“Men however helped cause this exodus of women from motherhood. Because they were expected to work seven days a week with no annual holidays and no pay. It was in fact a form of slave master relationship…”

For 2 years I looked after my kids full-time (ages 3-5 & 4-6) while my wife went away to study at a distant University. It was not only the most enjoyable job I have ever had it was the easiest. Cooking for 4, laundry for 4, 1 house to clean, being your own boss – it was a doddle and an extremely pleasant one because I was doing it for people I loved. And when I started work in 1973 and we were paid in cash I was surprized to see that about 70% of the men were not allowed to open their own packets – it was their wives who gave them allowances. Who was the master and who was the slave?

“Make motherhood a paid job with every second week-end off while her husband minds the children and access to back-up child care when not feeling well.”

Create of job with conditions like that and you will be flooded by men wanting to become mothers
Posted by Rob513264, Monday, 2 April 2007 1:36:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy