The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kevin Rudd's Leadership Tactics.

Kevin Rudd's Leadership Tactics.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I have been riveted by the ongoing Rudd-Gillard saga since the infamous knifing in 2010. The crescendo seems to have been reached. Will the vengeful Mr. Rudd swing the caucus numbers in his favour, or will he be silently smacked and made to run off with his tail between his legs?

The media that I have been reading in the last couple of days has Labor frontbenchers soiling Mr. Rudd's image, seemingly in an attempt to discredit him as a viable option in the minds of voters. It is said he is still a popular Labor option because the public doesn't understand why he was ousted in 2010. These attempts by Mr. Crean and Mr. Swan obviously seek to clarify this. All-in-all I personally do not think it will dampen Rudd's popularity with the voters.

Now the options. News has been written and Commentators have commented. With Mr. Rudd's resignation from the Foreign portfolio this morning, it is said he is in the process of lobbying the caucus and independents for support for a takeover. This is in the face of speculation that Gillard will call for a leadership ballot this afternoon in Adelaide. The ballot seems to be called to allow Julia to defeat K-Rudd while she has the numbers. This seems the likely route.

Another commentator has suggested that Rudd will play the Keating card, whereby he will sit on the backbench, wait for another Gillard gaff, and then challenge and get the top job after Gillard is beyond redemption.

If all the Labor reports are true, that K-Rudd has weak caucus support and Julia is in a strong position, whereby no Rudd challenge will end with her defeat, is there another Avenue? Maybe. What if Rudd acknowledges he will never lead the party again, and sits in the back-bench, and if he still wants to poison gillard and get back his own, he vouches support for Abbott. Then Abbott will have the numbers and Julia is relegated to the political scrap-heap.

Whatever the outcome I am watching with anticipation.
Posted by Cam_Kiely24, Thursday, 23 February 2012 9:45:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would assume that those of us who are interested in
politics are all watching with anticipation - as events
unfold. And one thing is clear - none of us really knows
what's around the corner. We've had the usual suspects
coming up with their versions and speculations about
who should do what to whom, who's the most popular in
the polls, and what's going to happen next. It seems to
be a number game - but then I guess it always was in
Canberra. Will there be a challenge on Monday? What will
the Labor Caucus decide? Will Labor unite for the good
of the Party? Who will the Independents and Greens support
if there is a challenge? Will there be more than one
challenger?

It's fun speculating - but who do we really want as PM?
And more to the point - who cares what we think anyway?
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 23 February 2012 12:41:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lexi asks

Who will the Independents and Greens support
if there is a challenge? Will there be more than one
challenger?

Whoever will give them power. The only ones more deceitful than the Government are the Independents that failed to represent their electorates. They have shown to be nothing but sleazy. Very disappointing for those who believed that somehow they were for open and accountable Government. Thankfully they will be gone soon.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 23 February 2012 1:48:33 PM
If Gillard wins there will be another challenge,from another challenger or Kevin once more.
Picture Tuesday morning.
Gillard has won, defeated a man who outside caucus is double her vote.
ALP would be road kill, truck killing them? ALP caucus!
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 23 February 2012 2:59:23 PM
No egotist will ever put the needs of the country before their own.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 23 February 2012 5:24:32 PM
Belly for once I could not agree with you more hence I hope Gillard wins.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 23 February 2012 5:37:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy