The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Where the hell is hell

Where the hell is hell

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Pericles,
I agree. A reasonable standard of living for a population half what it is now might be sustainable.
There will not be a second green revolution, and Norman Borlaug author of the first said so as covered below. Yet, people of little understanding persist in converting food to fuel, a process that is not above 20% efficient and in many situations is negative.
We do need to develop a narrative aimed at establish goals and even regulations that will give the human race a chance.
Hasbeen has not thought through the issues. Humans will co-operate to attain sensible well set out goals. Tony Judt's book, "Ill fares the land" is an effort to start movement in a better direction.
NORMAN BORLAUG: THE DEATH OF THE GREATEST AMONG US.(from What's New)
Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Gregg Easterbrook described Borlaug as "the very personification of human goodness." He was that, but he was also a brilliant scientist and tireless teacher of poor farmers in distant lands. His own education began in a one- room schoolhouse in Iowa. His work in agronomy led to the Green Revolution and saved perhaps 1 billion lives. In accepting the 1970 Nobel Peace Prize, however, Borlaug warned against complacency: "we are dealing with two opposing forces, the scientific power of food production and the biologic power of human reproduction. . . Man also has acquired the means to reduce the rate of human reproduction, effectively and humanely . . . but has not yet used this potential adequately. There can be no permanent progress in the battle against hunger until food production and population control unite in a common effort."
Posted by Foyle, Monday, 23 January 2012 11:06:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Had some difficulty at first working out why so many concerns in one thread.
In the end it proves a point, not hasbeens all evil comes from ALP.
But that we are not one people one earth.
And unlikely ever to be unless it is forced on us.
If improving the world is our target first outlaw every religion.
Totally and convict practitioners.
Invent a brand new one, they are all inventions after all.
Include all races as equal.
Write a new modern day 10, 40, if you like, commandments to live by.
Let those needing the straw have it but let others not believe if they want to.
But unite humanity first.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 January 2012 11:15:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Human populations will continue to expand, develop and even provide solutions for many of our problems, but when we are all constrained by space and resources and food and pollution, Nature will have her way and population will be reduced by war and starvation and necessity.

Unfortunately it is in our DNA to breed and for some reason we even subsidise it.... even to the extent of allowing the public purse to pay for IVF for those that left it too late to have children naturally.

Nothing much will change until it is changed for us. In the meantime we will grumble and bitch expecting everyone else to change except ourselves. That's human nature
Posted by snake, Monday, 23 January 2012 1:36:21 PM
Belly did you read my post?

I clearly remember talking about Bob Brown, & the UN. I did not mention Labor at all, just Bobs lap dog Julia. I'm not sure if she's leading us to hell, on Bobs orders, or if she actually is hell, personified. Same thing I suppose, you'd have to be mad to follow her.

Foyle you & your mates talk such a pile of utter rot, that if composted it could federalise the planet for 100 years.

The good folk of New Guinea cultivate less than 1% of the cultivatable land in their nation, but manage to feed a couple of million with little trouble.

In fact most of that cultivation is used to produce cash crops, copra, palm oil, coco, vanilla, & a few other odds & sods. If they tried they could easily feed all the people of Oz a couple of times over. The same goes for vast swathes of the earth.

While I agree with you that converting food to fuel is a crazy idea, I would remind you the idea was a product of the greenies, & similar scare mongering to your food running out, only about peak oil.

As we now know this was also rubbish, with more oil under north America alone than we have used to date. Add the newly developed gas harvesting methods, & fossil fuels will outlast our requirements for them. As a wise bloke said, the stone age did not end because we ran out of stones, & the same will apply to fossil fuel. New energy supplies will be developed & used to replace fossil stuff, long before we exhaust the supply.

Just like fracking, this new energy will come out of left field, & nothing worthwhile will come out of the billions of our taxes wasted by government on "research".

I even agree with you about population, I'd love to see ours coming down, but I don't need some fabricated excuse to say so. I reckon that if they don't talk good like me & me mates, we should keep em out.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 23 January 2012 1:56:47 PM
Abbott is going to do his share of depopulating if he gets a chance, he is going to shoot them by the boat load, and then the navy will turn on him.
Posted by 579, Monday, 23 January 2012 2:11:38 PM
Hasbeen this much is true, I dislike Gillard.
Not as much as Bob Brown, and am disappointed by the Greens.
They in my opinion, have long ago stopped being a conservation party, are radicals .
And also, sadly many who follow them are quite unaware of that.
I think, as many ALP Parliamentarians, and members, are thinking as I do.
Like or loath Gillard , I think she thinks like that too.
Labor, to stay in power had to deal with them,and the end staying in power will cost us the next election.
Unless this country bury the Greens along with Labor, I will not see another federal Labor Government in my lifetime.
One OUTSTANDING truth, if lead by Abbott the next Conservative Government will be the best thing the ALP has going for it.
Both Conservatives, more so, and Labor must re take the word CONSERVATIONIST from radicals wash it down think out good movements and act, too important to leave in the hands of the Morris Dancers Nude or not, I do not wish to see that under my trees.
Day Lilly's looking great.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 January 2012 3:37:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy