The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Yellow Cake Labor

Yellow Cake Labor

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
In a blind decision reminiscent of Robert Menzies selling iron to Japan in the 1930’s. Julia Gillard has gone down the same path in regards to selling uranium to India. Menzies gained the title of ‘Pig Iron Bob’ we now have ‘Yellow Cake Julie’. Let us all hope that this short sighted decision of the Labor Government does not come home to bite us, as the Menzies decision did in 1941.
I was heartened by some within the ALP particularly Doug Cameron who was willing to stand up and say to Gillard “your wrong”.
Like its fellow nuclear armed ‘enemy’ Pakistan, India is not a signatory to the UN’s Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty. Why? India claims it has to be a “nuclear have” just like China with whom India has another long standing boarder dispute.
Just as ‘Pig Iron Bob’ assured Australians “Japan will only use our steel for peaceful purposes.” ‘Yellow Cake Julie’ assures Australians “India will only use our uranium for peaceful purposes.”
Bob was wrong, is Julia right? Let’s hope so.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 7:07:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
a deep issue
if we want to cut carbon
then nukes is the cheapest option

its rented..not ever bought
by law it should be returned..to the place it came from
when depleted beyond re energising[mixed back with the dirt it came from]..then left be again

petrol/coal/gas supposedly will soon be gone
so nukes seems a thing that must in the end expand

but the same rules MUST ap;ply to all
not one rule for india..one for iran or israel

is the party line to lord it over us
or a conscience vote the means ..this issue will be decided

it all depends if they can beat tony
by allowing one conscience vote
to beat up the point

[not making all votes conscience votes!]

that way its not just our betters doing as their told
[ie the party patcy line]..

[informed concent..force them
to get up to speed on the issue..not blindly obey todays talking point
or backroom spin
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 8:25:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gizzards has at last done something that is appropriate and positive , beneficial to both India and Oz.
Posted by Garum Masala, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 8:53:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Doug Cameron!
From my birth place and home till death the Union Movement.
Let me say, on behalf of the 95% who hold membership, this bloke is a failure his union failed in not being able to do better than bring a British lost lefty to work in it.
Not xenophobia, a certainty he should not be in Parliament with out a mop and bucket in his hands.
He should never have walked the floors of any union with out the same.
I congratulate Gillard, this was the only action that made sense.
She knew America has dealt with this issue.
India,we have no reason to believe other, unlike her neighbor Pakistan, is not likely to be an enemy Nation.
To want to trade, build partnership with this country, one that will get Uranium in any case.
But tell her we do not trust her is confrontational.
And true cuts in carbon, at this stage,are best seen in Nuclear power.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 12:00:26 PM
Belly, I took a casual interest in the ALP conference. There are some very deep divisions within the party as evident by the uranium to India debate. You give The Greens another 10 years or something. How about this scenario for you, like the split that saw the right wing bible bashers walk away and form the DLP, but this time its the left that's fed up with the direction the ALP has gone. The left split from the party and join with The Greens in forming a Green Labour Party. I can't wait for the day. This time I don't think the conservatives will hold onto government as long as they did last time, too many issues they would not be able to hack it. As history in Australian politics shows when times get tough the conservatives get going (out of office), and tough time are ahead. Don't be fooled to think it will be roses forever. A split would spell the end of the ALP as we know it.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 7:41:48 PM
Paul in commenting on any subject we should be aware of what we are saying.
And if possible what and why our opponent is saying.
No easy task.
Trust me, I walked a far more left path than you,at least I think I did.
1950 a snot nosed kid,I saw my dad spat on, for handing out the how to votes of the ALP.
I know about the DLP, have here in print, OFTEN compared your Greens with them, you ride a horse in very real danger of keeping those you most dislike, in power.
that is your long term most achievable out come.
How ever hope to comes from your lost tribe.
Like multi colored rug, it is made up of true left true failures to understand.
Dreamers and the truly good,who just took the wrong turn.
Mate a basic, you can not drive voters to think as you want.
It is them,, who drive party's to the wanted policy's.
I LOVE! the silly screamed and shouted Labor has sold out greens, like you.
You may as well stand out side the yellow Arch's selling roted fish.
No one but you wants it.
Greens as they are today will die.
ALMOST then rid of radicalism such as your self, they may return to being a green party,smaller but able to influence even conservatives.
I am a day to day proposition but if around in far less than ten years will triumph in Labors rebirth and its vibrancy and look back in wounder at the wreckage of the dreaming greens.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 8 December 2011 5:28:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy