The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 4000 authors plus one - an OLO milestone

4000 authors plus one - an OLO milestone

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Lexi,

You are too kind. Sometimes I think I am just flogging a dead horse on OLO, something I am normally averse to. So there!

I don't know why, but I just got a buzz from ending that sentence with a preposition. Too much time up at Olobombastiplatlanatl in the Temple of Gloom, perhaps.

Everything Aix. I must go to the Ghents.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Friday, 11 November 2011 7:00:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Congratulations Graham!

It certainly is a milestone. Keeping the wheels on the cart
in a venture such as this, would take far more effort then
most of us understand or appreciate, so thank you.

IMHO you have shown tenacity, stared a few critics down and
shown your integrity.

I hope that you celebrated with a bottle of champagne or similar!

I for one would certainly miss OLO if it was not here for all
our benefit.I am sure that many others feel the same.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 11 November 2011 8:28:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yes congratulations
forrest..[ok and the grayman too]

but lets narrow this down
we are taklking about the articles section right?

not us in the general section..
ie..[us bloggers..far from author standard]
just here day to day..doing the hard slog...are we lauded by this auther adhonourum too..[thats why i said thanks to the forrest first]

depite forrest being only a tree
and graymans olo the forrest
where we can let our words rest in peace

knowing we commented..our opinions..as best as we were inspired by the authers to correct or add to their revealations..

a man by himself is as nuthing
so thanks are due to the grayman

who made all this happen
but thanks to to all the rest of you
for giving me a chance to reply..to your general comments..of the day

anyhow
thats enough sukking up for today
why do i feel like a fag about now
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 12 November 2011 6:52:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry about the poetry earlier on, but I just couldn't resist. As they say in website design circles, 'if it ain't obvious, it ain't obvious'. Thats internet thinking, anyway.

`

As a child I grew up with access to a three-volume compendium of first-hand accounts (from both sides) of some who served during WW1, titled 'I was there', compiled by Sir John Hammerton. There were many photographs accompanying the accounts. One I always remembered particularly, 'We fired until our rifles were too hot to hold'. I thought that had to have been hyperbole, until I found out years later that you could even get that to happen on the rifle range with a Belgian-designed weapon. About 150 rounds in short order would do it.

Forty and more years on I saw what I now know to be the 'thousand yard stare' frequently on a great-uncle's face, and almost as frequently saw him go into a squatting position, perfectly balanced on the balls of his feet, as naturally as breathing, and either actually rolling a roll-your-own cigarette, or going through the motions thereof, with completely sepia-coloured hands.

With thoughts of Flanders, Remembrance Day (it still is in Canada at this moment), machine guns (Browning), authors (Winston Groom: A Storm in Flanders; Forrest Gump), fags, and horses on the mind, something visual for viewers from the Western Front courtesy of Twitter and the retweeting of Twitter userID 'GrogsGamut:

http://twitter.com/#!/guardian/status/134937163010801665 and surf the link therein. Ten images in all.

One of the captions states:

"It is estimated that the British Army used
1.2 million horses and mules during the first
world war, of which 484,000 sadly died in battle, ..."

Many of those would have come from Australia. 'Walers'. At war's end, only one horse returned to Australia, Chauvel's. Most remaining alive in Australian hands were shot as a mercy.

`

Its horses for courses. Poetry, and the licence that tacitly goes therewith, can provide an avenue for the telling of otherwise perhaps untellable truths. At least I like to think so.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Saturday, 12 November 2011 9:02:16 AM
Yes Graham, congratulations, it's great. It's really unique in history - ain't the internet grand?
Posted by Peter Hume, Saturday, 12 November 2011 9:32:28 AM
It is good to see so many people come together with differing opinions and still a a civil conversation.The internet has spawned a new revolution in which the Corporate and Govt media cannot sanitise the reality with their spin.

If we get by without WW3,I'm confident that our world will enter a New Renaissance in which human ingenuity and true liberty will overcome many of our most pressing problems.

The old world order with its'new world tag,is coming to an end by its own hand.

Congratulations Graham and we all look forward to a bright new future.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 12 November 2011 10:23:43 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy