The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Another boat tragedy, another border protection failure.

Another boat tragedy, another border protection failure.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Golly, SM, one can only imagine the horror that refugees thought awaited them on Nauru must have put the fear of &%$@?! into them! Just like the mandatory detention we have now is keeping them away in droves.

When you were a little guy/gal, SM, did you ever learn, by observing others, not to oppose the school bully lest he beat the bejasus out of you? Did you notice how nobody challenged him who did not want a bloodied nose? It's like that, SM. Why on earth, until the Government changed in Australia in 2007, would a boat-load of people try their luck?

Oh yes, and it must be clear from the general tenor of my posts that I support the torture of woman and children in Malaysia, and in Australia for that matter where even those granted refugee status continue to be incarcerated indefinitely. Fortunately, I do not believe our Gov't shares my viewpoint and will put a stop to any shenanigans or just call the whole thing oFf if issues arise, despite the Malaysian gov'ts firm assurances that it wants the solution to work.

I'll now sign off from this discussion having revealed my evil intent in supporting the Malaysian Solution over the humane Pacific "fist-in-glove Solution. Thanks for having me.

PS Check figures on boats refused entry or towed away.
Posted by Luciferase, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 2:25:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My recollection is that they patrolled the area between Australian
and Indonesian territorial waters. That is not to say one or more still
did not get to Christmas Island or Ashmore Reef.
They could not enter Indonesian waters without their permission as I
believe is the custom for warships.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 5:01:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The very people your trying to help, are the one,s ripping you all off with the Internet scams...well not directly, however the 2 and 3 world peoples are playing you all.......and the take-over will be over soon.

A boat tragedy!.....lol.....thats the least of Australia's problems:)

Whats to come is in gods hands we trust, A lexi:).......I have only one true comment for the stupidity I can see......Its going to be a very interesting century indeed.

7 billion and counting:)and no-ones got there eyes on this spit of land.

Shut the gates!

" The great trick that the devil ever played, was to convince the people that he didn't exsisted.

How human of him:)

I might write a book called.." The end of a champion race "

Existentialism is a term applied to the work of several 19th- and 20th-century philosophers who, despite profound doctrinal differences shared the belief that philosophical thinking begins with the human subject—not merely the thinking subject, but the acting, feeling, living human individual...In existentialism, the individual's starting point is characterized by what has been called "the existential attitude", or a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world Many existentialists have also regarded traditional systematic or academic philosophy, in both style and content, as too abstract and remote from concrete human experience.

The early 19th century philosopher Søren Kierkegaard is regarded as the father of existentialism. He maintained that the individual is solely responsible for giving her or his own life meaning and for living that life passionately and sincerely, in spite of many existential obstacles and distractions including despair, angst, absurdity, alienation, and boredom.

Subsequent existentialist philosophers retain the emphasis on the individual, but differ, in varying degrees, on how one achieves and what constitutes a fulfilling life, what obstacles must be overcome, and what external and internal factors are involved, including the potential consequences of the existence or non-existence of God. Existentialism became fashionable in the post-World War years as a way to reassert the importance of human individuality and freedom.

CACTUS:)
Posted by Cactus..2, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 7:56:56 PM
@Luciferase,

You are right about one thing, your presentation has all the characteristics of a children's pantomime. But let’s move past your child’s play.

You claim: << the Malaysian solution [would have had the effect of] deterring boats from breaching our boarders….>>

But let’s look for the devil in the detail:

i) We are told that there are 100,000+ asylum seekers in Malaysia. The truth is many are more like illegal WORK seekers than ASYLUM seekers, but let’s plug in the 100,000+ figure.
ii) We are told that these 100,000+ hold very insecure tenure: they can be arrested any time, they can be are caned, they are not allowed to pursue education or work legally.
iii) However, we are told that as part of the MS anyone caught trying to boat their way illegally to OZ will be shipped to Malaysia. BUT unlike those already there, they will have certain guarantees: they will be given education and work opportunities & have upgraded accommodation and they will not be subject arbitrary arrest or caning--and (very importantly) they will still not be out of the running to eventually settle in OZ.

In view of the above if you were one of the illegals in Malaysia, might not this motivate you to make a run for OZ!

If you’re lucky you might get into OZ. But even if you are unlucky & get caught & shipped back to Malaysia. You have a whole of lot more guarantees & benefits than you would have if you’d simply had stayed put.

Why, I’d posit, the returnees to Malaysia would have a WHOLE LOT more benefits than many of the slum dwellers in most south Asia cities. And when the news of this new bonanza filtered through it might have encourage another gold rush.

And as for this little quip:
<< What, like the feeble attempts of boats trying to breach a blockade by the Australian Navy?>>
You must be joking – you must be thinking about the U-boat blockade of Britain not the Australian navy’s feeble attempt to cover our 25,760 KM coastline.
Posted by SPQR, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 8:13:47 PM
I read what you write, and still think your all insane. Why import more people, when the systems wont support it?

Still! I ask you all....." when your children leave school, where are they going to go?

Yes! I know not one of you can answer the question.

mmmmmmm! 2016/2020 and beyond....I wonder if your view's will still be the same.

CACTUS
Posted by Cactus..2, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 8:31:23 PM
Australia!....a prostitute for sale.

SPQR.....more care for those off-shore.....why?

Has our piggery and wealth made us think so narrow kindly, or have we forgot our own people at home by mistake?

And what for them, hence the Roman soldier that weeper,s into his hands... and the"less we forget"our back-bones that becomes our curse to the lodgers of foreign problem.

CACTUS
Posted by Cactus..2, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 10:58:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy