The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Great Tolkien Prophecy Explained

The Great Tolkien Prophecy Explained

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
When Tony Abbott committed to his oath in blood, I had occasion to search for a literary allusion. Something to capture the melodrama.

The oath did have a touch of Macbeth, but Shakespeare can be so overdone, donchathink?

Then it dawned on me. Not Shakespeare, but Tolkien.

The slightly mad eyes, the gaunt cheeks, the skinny limbs, the strange walk, the ears.

Tony Abbot is Gollum reborn.

Proof, I found, in Gollum's very own words. "They’re thieves. They’re thieves, they’re filthy little thieves. Where is it? Where is it? They stole it from us. My Precious. Curse them, we hates them! It’s ours it is, and we wants it. "

'Precious' being of course, the key to the Lodge.

"Nasty Hobbitts. Keeping it from me. But we won't let them. Nooooo. We will lead them their Shire, into the fire and smoke. Yess, my precious."

Okay, Gollum didn't actually say that last bit. But he could've.

Tolkien always insisted that Lord of the Rings wasn't a metaphor. And he was right. It's a prophecy, a foretelling of early 21st Century Australian politics.

Mordor is what our planet will become if Gollum has his way onglobal warming.

The more I think on it, the better I understand the Tolkien's riddle.

Obviously, the Hobbits in the tale are the three independents.

Although, it is perhaps a stretch to see Tony Windsor as a Hobbit. But Andrew Wilkie? Perfect. I wonder if he has hairy feet.

Such a shame that Joe Hockey is on the other side. He'd make a good hobbit.

Andrew Robb is actually Sauron, the wizard. No need for science in his universe, for Sauron believes in magic. What need has he for science?

And all the while, Tony, er, Gollum, smiles his sly smile and whispers his riddles; saying one thing today and the opposite tomorrow.

I must say, he does the part rather well, doesn't he?

But in the prophesy, Gollum ultimately fails; his machinations come to nought.

And we have the triumphant return of the king.

Could it be? Nooooo. No way.

Kevin?
Posted by Anthonyve, Wednesday, 2 November 2011 10:03:41 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Anthony,

Thank You. You've made me view Tolkien in a
different light.

The Return of The King?
No. Not Kevin.

Try Malcolm.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 2 November 2011 1:57:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It may yet be Kevin Lexi
The knights gather and the round table is on its back.
Jostling for position is well under way.
Bill the white Knight is out there in full armor, Gillards knight Crean is too, but as is his usual, is holding his lance the wrong way.
Kevin is trotting around looking in fine form.
We will know soon.
Sir Malcolm the better is quietly musing if it is time, his oafish lance carrier is pushing him saying go get him bloke.
But that member for North Sydney has said such before.
In real life a life long mate,sitting on the other side of the house than Labor?
Told me face to face half the party consider Abbott an idiot?
Fear for the other half are they blind?
Shorten vs Turnbull 2013? yes think so.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 2 November 2011 3:54:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

I loved your "Knights of the Round Table" analogy.
And as I've stated in the past you know more about
the inner workings of party politics.

Shorten versus Malcolm in 2013?

From my perspective Shorten ain't long enough in the
tooth - yet.

But what do I know.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 2 November 2011 5:02:22 PM
I'm with you, Lexi.
Belly's Knights of the Round Table works even better than Tolkien - wish I'd thought of it.
We could really have some fun with that.
Cheers,
Anthony
http://www.observationpost.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Wednesday, 2 November 2011 5:08:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
nuthin like reposting old news
http://www.observationpoint.com.au/?p=251

what your blog didnt get a bite?
so we get stale topics?
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 2 November 2011 5:50:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy