The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why does this receive so little coverage in Australia?

Why does this receive so little coverage in Australia?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Ninth Tibetan, a Nun, Immolates Herself in Anti-China Protest

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/world/asia/ninth-tibetan-a-nun-immolates-herself-in-anti-china-protest.html

>>BEIJING — A Tibetan nun killed herself Monday by setting herself on fire in a Tibetan town in western China while calling for religious freedom and the return of the Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, according to a statement by an advocacy group based in London.

The nun, Tenzin Wangmo, 20, was the ninth Tibetan to commit self-immolation since March, the fifth of those to die, and the first Tibetan woman to kill herself in this way, said the group, Free Tibet. The self-immolations have all taken place in restive Tibetan areas of Sichuan Province. All the previous acts involved monks or former monks; the most recent one took place on Saturday, when a 19-year-old former monk from Kirti Monastery set himself on fire but lived.>>

Nine people setting themselves on fire and nary a mention in the Australian media?

Why?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 6:57:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why does this receive so little coverage in Australia?

because no-one's found a way to make money out of it yet !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 9:56:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
why?
ok to begin its insane to kill yourself
then allow others to say why...its just madness

next it involves china
as if media mention will change their minds
or make our pollies grow a pair...[oh sorry forgot she cant]

anyhow im glasd the media has shown the grownup atitude that MAY be emerging in palestein...[better known as new israel]..ie the prisoner swap..for that con-scripted soul-dier..

thats a thing i thought mr netyahoo
could never bring himself to do

but then again that moved the press fo-cuss
from the street protests against the 1 %..that runs israel too

[noting that psssweek attempt
by mrs clinton to divide iran/south arabia failed]
didnt even get much fox cover-age...

anyhow if the deli lambada did it
that would wake up the sleeping me-diea

even that..still wouldnt change anything
china choses to do..though

not till the globe goes bust
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 10:14:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One Under God.
Yeah I noticed that too,300,000 protesters take to the streets of Tel Aviv to demonstrate against the government's economic policies and not a peep was heard from our controlled media.
I only heard about it because someone e-mailed me the reports from Russia Today.
Google "Israel protests 2011" then click on the pages from Australia button, the Jewishnews and Indymedia sites covered it but as far as I can see none of the mainstream sites gave it much attention.
Yet the Gilad Shalit handover was given a 3 minute segment at the top of the bulletin on SBS World news last night.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 19 October 2011 5:32:31 AM
Amazing

A thread about Chinese oppression in Tibet morphs into a thread about Israel.

Exhibit A for Israel Obsession Disorder (IOD).

Get over yourselves.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 19 October 2011 6:21:48 AM
BTW, protests in Israel are quote common. Have been for as long as I can remember and I'm 66.

But I am astounded that nine Tibetans setting fire to themselves does not make the news here. I would have thought that is a much bigger story than, say, an exchange of prisoners between Hamas and Israel.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 19 October 2011 6:36:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy