The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Jobs, Jobs, and more... Oops!

Jobs, Jobs, and more... Oops!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
There's a story about the chairman of an American company who, during his AGM speech after a particularly bad year, said, " One might reasonably ask where all the Customers have gone. "

A voice from the back of the room shouted, "You sacked them all, you moron."

I used to tell that story as a joke, but these days, hardly anybody laughs.

In the USA, it's the new reality.

Its economy, like Australia's, is designed for, in fact depends on, growth. Growth requires increasing consumption, which in turn, depends on more and more consumers. And consumers depend on jobs.

So the intellectual giants at the helms of American corporations closed more than 45,000 factories between 2001 and 2010. Now they're asking where all the customers have gone.

The answer of course is that they emigrated to China along with the jobs. Gollygee, as Gomer Pyle would have said, who could have seen that coming?

Meanwhile, the best that Harvard can produce - they work on Wall St - applauded wildly and gave said CEO's huge pay rises.

And between the lot of them, what's their solution? Hire lobbyists to bribe Congress to make sure nothing changes, all the while trying desperately to convince Americans that all these Nouveau Riche are really 'job creators'.

Yeah, they're job creators alright. It's just that the jobs they'e creating aren't in America.

The reason I'm banging on about this is that there are powerful forces at work here in Australia happy to create the same situation; using the resources boom to justify the demise of our manufacturing industry, along with its million plus jobs.

Maybe our lot didn't go to Harvard, but evidently they managed to sleep through the same lectures.

And, it would seem, most of the last two decades.
Anthony
www.observationpooint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Thursday, 13 October 2011 6:23:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
great info anthony
here we got a pm..who promises 1 million green jobs
[while the average job creation numbers total near 5000 per month]

they also do modeling,...model bling..
that is based on 50 million of us by mid century

i hear the us numbers officially arround 9%
actually are arround 20%..and when underwork is factored in stands closer to 35%

i recall the last jobs creation 'shovel ready' thing..[in usa]
the jobs they made...were security screening..at airports..not fixing basic infastructure

dont obama know he can buy back full control over the fed reserve/fortknox gold and the mint..for less that 44.4 billion us

that then he can leverage that better than the 12 bankers did
by bailing our the workers...and making worker communes
where workers own their workplace..and managment goes suck the corperate teat elsewhere

obama coukld have fixed it all
only he renditioned the lacvkies..not those who organise
pay for and sponcer terror the saudie house of error
who manned the planes..with saudies

anyhow
its deliberated policy
treason to the highest degreee

obama might do better using his war powers
to jail real white colour criminals..who think they run the govt ponzie sceme..smart bomb some country clubs..not conduct global terror that blackens the very basis of life liberty and the persuite of credit and govt largess.

anyhow server problem indicate the web monitoring is working
Posted by one under god, Friday, 14 October 2011 10:04:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree the point is well made.
As a trade unionist I know not every union action is right.
But here, in our forum some, who graduated from the school of failure to understand, with honors.
Think the answer is always cutting the spending power of?
Workers/Consumers.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 14 October 2011 10:26:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed.
There's an astonishing shortsightedness in all of this.
Just thinking about it makes my head want to explode.
In the 90's, I ran a transformer manufacturing company in Shanghai and after that a motor manufacturing company in Sydney.
In my view there is no reason at all why Australia can't compete successfully with China. We just have to look past the basic hourly rate comparison and play to our strengths.
On several occasions, I've challenged those who say we can't compete to please explain to me how it is that the world's second largest exporter of manufactured goods, Germany, also, has the highest level of unionism and the world's highest labour rates.
And, surprise, surprise, a middle class with a wonderful living standard.
Nobody has yet been able to give me a satisfactory answer.
Germany has no advantages over Australia except these three: 1. A highly educated workforce; 2: Government regulations that make it incredibly difficult and expensive to close a plant there, (so management has no choice but to figure out a way to succeed); 3. A far less combatitive industrial relations environment that allows management and unions to work together more effectively to increase productivity.
We could do all those things, plus we have the resources that Germany has to import, further adding to their costs.
But, somehow, it's all too hard.
Go figure!
Anthony
www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Friday, 14 October 2011 10:53:56 AM
*But here, in our forum some, who graduated from the school of failure to understand, with honors.
Think the answer is always cutting the spending power of?
Workers/Consumers*

Its ok Belly. No need to name any names lol. As always,
the devil lies in the details. If you can show me why
paying Qantas pilots 50% more then Virgin pilots will
mean more ticket sales to secure the jobs at Qantas,
go right ahead.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 14 October 2011 2:46:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It funny, as on the one hand we say, how did we allow all these jobs to go to the likes of Chin, yet, on the other hand, we as a nation have warmed to the cheaper goods.

Can't have your cake and eat it is one saying that comes to mind.

I have always said, the jobs are still out there, it's just that continued government and union intervention have forced the employers to jump ship and do business elsewhere.

How stupid and I'll informed are you lot. No names mentioned of cause!

From the penthouse to the S-house in less than four years.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 14 October 2011 2:59:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy