The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Taxing us into good health

Taxing us into good health

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The preferred strategy for Australian governments is to tax the populace into health. The ever rising taxes on cigarettes and alco-pops as well as talk of taxing fast foods bears ample testimony to this mindset.

Unfortunately taxing alcohol, cigarettes and Big Macs leaves out what is arguably the biggest threat to health in Australia. I refer of course to a sedentary life style. Sitting in front of the computer or TV will do us in as efficiently as a Big Mac.

I hereby make the following proposal to remedy the situation.

--On reaching the age of 10 every able-bodied Australia will be fitted with a tamper-proof ankle bracelet containing a “smart” pedometer. It’s a smart pedometer because it can distinguish between walking and merely jostling your legs while sitting still.

--On waking up you will owe the Australian Government $12,000. This reduces by $1 for every step you take during the day. You can walk off the debt by taking 12,000 steps.

--You may bank up to 3,000 steps per day. So if you walk 15,000 steps Monday to Friday you need only 4,500 steps per day over the weekend.

--Banked steps have a lifetime of 30 days. If you have not used them after 30 days you lose them.

--Any deficit is automatically deducted from your bank account at the end of the day. It's a pay as you go system. Or rather, it's a pay as you don't go system.

--You may sell any steps in excess of 15,000 per day to the highest bidder. Wealthy people will be able to hire “personal walkers.” This will help solve unemployment. It also means you can literally walk off your debts.

This should keep healthcare costs down.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 11 August 2011 8:42:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Steven... but why improve health merely to experience a life not worth living?

the problems with regulating for walking steps is there would soon be a thriving black market - like there will be in carbon based taxes or carbon emmissions trading schemes.

My wife's uncle was suffering a whole range of age and lifestyle related issues... he was a drinker and a smoker, he had diabetese, heart condition, failing liver and kidneys etc etc..

Apparently he stayed on his "diet" and off the booze and smokes for about 18 months before he decided that life without roast pork, cigars and a fine malt was not worth living.

He died, of course, I never met him but apparently he was happy to go smiling at aged 55.

Conversely, his sister, my mother-in-law is 92, has never smoked, is very active, eats modestly, lives next to the ocean and walks around her plantation, she still takes in orphans and God willing, will reach 100.

But she also lives in a place well beyond the reach of our less-than-benevolent and meddlesome nanny state - I think we will move there when we retire, at least for the winter season
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 12 August 2011 12:53:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think you will find that these concerns are already being addressed, evidence being the surge in interactive games aimed at motivating the indoor warriors as they are known.

Now as for taxes, I say, get used to it.

You see you can't spend money twice, or in this governments case, waste it wife.

Wars, boat people, failed projects, they all place enormous stress on the public purse and, given that this purse's only real source of income it taxes, they can only go one way and that's up.

It is a disgrace to think we are in such a state given our mining boom and our so called low unemployment.

Bring on the next election I say.

The libs may not be any better, but they certainly can't be worse.

In any case, labor and the greens simply don't deserve another chance as we have nothing left to gamble with.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 12 August 2011 6:50:42 AM
If you want to reduce your taxes make the RBA the lender of first resort.6% of our $1.4 trllion economy is $84 billion.This represents 3% of your productivity + 3% inflation.If Institutions like the US Federal Reserve can create money from nothing and loan it to our banks,then the RBA can do likewise and reduce our debt hence our taxes.

With interest as you all know,the debt soon doubles to $ 168 billion.This potentially could reduce our taxes by $15000 for every working person.People in this county must like being good little debt slaves.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 12 August 2011 7:24:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You can't have the good lifestyle, and pay no tax. You wouldn't have anything to whinge about. Wog boy abbott is back again that should make you happy.
Posted by a597, Friday, 12 August 2011 10:00:12 AM
dont forget the walkers
wiull need a conjestion tax

or a penalty for stopping to talk
[how dare they hold up fellow walkers]

the walking tax as a tradable comm-oddity
now your talking..

every step in your plan makes cents

jails can have walking mills for the walking tax avoiders
the silence regeme must somehow must be included

so lets make it..the walking talking tax
how about the thinking tax...if you dare think

your busted

now we just gotta sex it up a little
lets have the words health...or public leeches
run past the fukkus group..and see if they swallow it...
and if they are willing to walk that extra mile...lets bring in the smile tax too

your busted
we seen that

do not pass go
[but passing wind is ok]
go directly to jail..[that waas your 3 rd simle]

[3 strikes your out!]
dont try to trade out of your diss credit

the fines hould be double
for them who knew

so we get the new knowing tax
cause who knew..but you

a new peeuw tax?
cause all new taxes stink

what ya think
step for-wards
Posted by one under god, Friday, 12 August 2011 10:33:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy