The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I warned you many times but you just laughed

I warned you many times but you just laughed

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I warned you supporters of this failed government many times that they were creating uncertainty within the business community that, if allowed to continue, had the potential to stall the economy.

Well, it has happened, big business has announced that this government is the hardest they have ever had to deal with.

Now they want to place additional burden on them in the form of a new tax.

All you labor supporters should hold your heads in shame as it is your doing that has allowed this incompetent government to ruin this great nation in less than four years.

It's a disgrace.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 24 July 2011 8:01:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hold on rehcub. The economy hasn’t stalled. Far from it. The carbon tax might reduce investor confidence and slow some things slightly…..very slightly…. for a while, but economic growth will power ahead pretty much as always.

And hey, we DESPERATELY need to rein it in! We need to get off of this insane rapid continuous growth path to ruin that we are on.

What we need are mechanisms much stronger than the carbon tax to temper this growth. And if it is done at the same time as progressive reductions in population growth, ie; immigration, it should not be difficult to accommodate, in total contrast to what big business people, economists and most politicians would tell us.

My criticism of the carbon tax seems to be entirely the opposite to yours – I’d say it doesn’t go anywhere near far enough. It is purported to be the first step towards a paradigm change. Well, if it is then good. But I’ll believe that when I see it. I reckon further moves of any significance to reduce emissions or wean ourselves off of fossil fuels, especially oil, are just about as likely as me becoming PM at the next election!

The carbon tax has effectively given this government a pale green veneer. Nothing more than that. It really is just business as usual. Big business and the rest of the manic rapid-growth-forever brigade have had another huge win here
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 24 July 2011 10:23:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh well..if big business has said it, it must be so.

C'mon rehctub you know better than that even if you are pushing your own agenda. Saying something does not make it true especially if there are commercial interests. Any new tax or imposition on business is always met with derision and 'henny penny' reactions, but that is a political and self-serving tactic nothing more. The trick is to look broadly at the issue and make up your own mind rather than listen to the 'side' you have already chosen without any scrutiny of the information being provided.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 24 July 2011 10:40:43 AM
Who is "big business" and where is their announcement?

Where are the bread lines, rehctub? What ruin?

The reality is that we're still skipping merrily along to the corporate tune.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 24 July 2011 10:55:32 AM
Oh Noes! "Big Business" (who or whatever that is) finds a Labor/Greens government hard to deal with?

In other earth-shattering news, the sun rose in the east this morning.
Posted by morganzola, Sunday, 24 July 2011 11:12:24 AM
rehctub,
Don't despair with the replies. There will be replies from posters who aren't in the public service.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 24 July 2011 2:29:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy