The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Greens and the ALP demise

Greens and the ALP demise

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
In "Greens must branch out to avoid fate of the Democrats" (Weekend Australian 9/7) Graham Young wrote "Greens are motivated to engage but Labor voters are much less enthusiastic about their party." Having lost its philosophy and principles, the ALP is confused. So ALP voters can easily drift to Greens and Liberals.

Remember the UK - in 1906 397 Liberals, 156 Conservatives and 29 Labour were elected. By 1922 the figures were 115, 344 and 142, and Labour never looked back till the last election, while the Liberals were barely represented.

Similarly it would not be infeasible for the ALP to become the third party here at the next election if Greens voters remain enthusiastic and ALP voters are further disheartened by the party's parliamentary performance.
Posted by Dudley, Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:37:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AH, nice juicy worm here, me thinks I will have it for lunch!
I am an ALP member,hopefully not blind to our current difficulty's, but very proud of our current achievements.
If a quick look at my thread re preferential voting is taken, you will see it is abandoned.
You maybe me too, may end up as the only contributors here too.
I made the mistake of saying I do not believe the greens can be trusted.
I, some what badly it appears, posted links showing almost every paper is currently carrying story's questioning the greens and Labor.
And that moves are a foot to,as Bob Brown has,not preference the greens, both sides of the house.
Lets not kid our selfs currently the ALP is as low as it ever has been.
It will beyond doubt,not rule in any state after the next series of elections.
For the first time in years I was not in the conference NSW state today, but watched and heard every word of Gillards speech.
Luke warm at best, the insipid responses to her kissing the baby's speech.
But just how are the greens going? at a time Conservatives took an unliked leader And Labor dumped a liked one.
At a time Gillard went from 8 point lead in the polls to what was this hung Parliament?
Labor is rebuilding,much to do, Greens are disliked by more than vote for them.
Further to all this, it will impact,Conservative state governments while too soon to impact are and will reminding voters of some things their building dislike of Labor, has blinded them to.
If Abbott ever becomes PM Labor will remind this country in the following election why we are in the end and for the foreseeable future a two party country.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 9 July 2011 5:05:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Dudley,

its good to see that English breakfast tea Tony Abbott sent you cleared your flue.
Did you find out what type of flue it was- different intensive farming in an area can pass on different types. Poor old Tony Abbott doesn't get a mention much these days so i can understand this attempt to cause mischief among the camp.
Tony Abbott has gone back to his ways of before the elections. Hes forgotten about all that training he had. People just dont like him & watching him in Parliament reminds me why.

Considering everything the ALP dont have in common I would say there's a bit of respect besides the difficulties which will only serve to make good strong needed changes. No I think we will see a ALP Government returned depending on choices made now.

I think we are looking at a ALP Greens landslide .
Posted by Kerryanne, Saturday, 9 July 2011 6:25:32 PM
Oh Kerryanne, Oh Kerryanne:

…Your view resembles the view of NSW supporters tipping themselves a win against the maroons in the state of origin. Get with it…there is no hope for this “lot”…
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 9 July 2011 9:33:31 PM
diver dan

Honey I think Your NSW supporters tipping have been tipping a win against the maroons the for last three years. You should get out more often.
Posted by Kerryanne, Saturday, 9 July 2011 9:53:00 PM
An interesting thought, just maybe my warning to our Author is being proved true.
OH I know its a bait, even understand as like a professional punter I read and study the form.
The tracks the Jockeys, even the trainers, Say press/owners intentions, in his interest.
So a Labor victory, even after the impending lift, is unlikely.
Come walk with me, lets not waste time fishing.
I offer this, my whole history hear in OLO, has been a combative one.
I front rower for my party put the head down and run.
I sometime run in the wrong direction,some time drop the ball, but I run.
Until,recently, the obvious devisions between Green and Labor came to the front, it had too, I often received the ball, or passed it to a green.
My links, many of them,saying it as it is stopped that.
In my view the Fragility of the followers of Greens here is so strong!
I question them openly, and with surety and certainty point to the lip service they pay to freedom of speech as evidence.
Greens have peaked, they ride on the back of my party's dreadful few years, our lowest point.
No one will confront me, no one will debate me, more either dislike/distrust/even hate the Greens than will ever vote for them.
ON LINE and in no other place, the Greens have the numbers, they are not confronted by too many working class Belly's.
But on stepping up in front of the TV cameras looking into them and saying every gain is a green one?
What ever my future here in OLO hiding the honest condemnation most Australians feel will not change the fate of the greens.
My party must eat its humble pie most of it due to a frozen refusal to move in Rudd's term,but Gillard was part of that.
We put real change in place true achievement and sink because my country men and women chain us to the Greens.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 10 July 2011 6:53:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy