The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Work to welfare - Labor's live cattle policy.

Work to welfare - Labor's live cattle policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Morgan, the unintended consequences of the AA campaign, remain to be
seen. If the station owners have no money to pump water, if overstocking is the result, the mass death of the herds from hunger
and thirst will make any good intentions look like a Sunday school
picnic.

One station owner did send some cattle south, he suffered a 70%
drop in income. At that rate any station becomes unviable and will
go broke. You'll have cattle left up to the fate of nature, as you
now have with camels. Apart from the cruelty, the environmental
degradation will be massive.

The Indonesian supply chain was a very sustainable one. Poor
politics got in the way.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 3 July 2011 10:55:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby This is who I am mate !

http://meatexportaustralia.webs.com/aboutus.htm

I watched many mates loose everything as I said & live exports was the reason. You want to talk about lost jobs by the thousands peoples lives lost houses because of abattoirs closing you just dont know and dont care.

The Indonesians did tell us they were pulling out 75% of live cattle months ago the ladies right. But dont make claims I am not who I say. I note your not putting up your details sport.
Posted by bronk, Sunday, 3 July 2011 11:17:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No Yabby. An industry's not sustainable if it can't meet minimum standards in various areas, including in this case animal welfare conditions. MLA and at least some suppliers have been aware of the appalling slaughtering conditions in most Indonesian abattoirs for years, but have not been able to improve them until now.

The difference in the position of some producers to that of us who insist that live exports are conducted humanely, is that those producers would continue to sell into that market regardless of animal welfare conditions for financial reasons, while most Australians regard those conditions as cruelly unacceptable and therefore unaceeptable under any circumstances.

The producers and their marketing organisation have been aware of this issue for years and chosen to turn a blind eye in the name of the almighty dollar, and they've been caught out. No amount of huffing and puffing will alter that fact.

I note you didn't comment about the spurious employment claim that is the subkect of this thread.
Posted by morganzola, Sunday, 3 July 2011 11:23:19 AM
YABBY! it is not a cowards act but a brave mans one to some times walkaway.
You are confronted with animal rights activists.
Groups, rejected by them, but wanting to use them to export Halal meat.
Greens who see a chance to join in any kicking of the majority for their own gain.
Others claiming to be meat exporters but not telling us how they market this meat.
I now leave,you should too, no intent exists here to debate, maybe give ground, maybe even resolve this problem.
MY GOVERNMENT! has inflicted great damage, to an industry a whole group of producers, and big part of our country.
Yabby you are trying to convince the lost soles who Labor got down on its knees to please.
Labor now, all too late, wishes it had set Kevin free, eaten its humble pie and trade would just about be back in place.
Yes I can feel the barbs on the way, I however think majority's must stand and be counted and an understanding must come.
Animal welfare is very poorly served by RSPCA, AA, and most seen here.
Tell me, truly, is it not true, while controlling the senate the greens are the most hated party in our country's history.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 3 July 2011 12:01:56 PM
I assume your referring to the programe to faze out live and replace with chilled working with RSPCA QLD & Australian Muslim Leaders.
Again I am posting as a person belly but do go to RSPCA QLD - or the Halal programe if you prefer and LOOK who is featuring - RSPCA QLD .

*MY GOVERNMENT! ..

Yabby,
Perhaps you could explain how correct he is & how much a part of the then unions helped to force live exports originally. They certainly were a main factor in conjunction with others yes.
A lot has changed since then granted and them meat union AMIEU is doing their level best to support Aussie meat workers & Australian jobs working side by side launching campaigns to END live exports i admit.
Animal Welfare & RSPCA in conjunction with AMIEU unions are doing an excellent job.!
The Meat union in particular has launched a scathing attack on the cruelty involved in the live export trade.
The current PM for labor is their saving graze but i question some Ministers and advisers .
The bottom line is and I will say it again & again Indonesia gave Australia warning well over six months ago it was reducing its intake of live cattle by 75%

Thousands of jobs have been lost over the last twenty + years & if we dont start to value add soon it will be the end of Australia's agriculture as others move forward with the bigger picture.
Posted by Kerryanne, Sunday, 3 July 2011 1:12:53 PM
http://fw.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/livestock/cattle/senate-inquiry-to-scrutinise-4-corners/2212399.aspx?storypage=0

Morgan, you are jumping the gun in claiming that industry knew.
Perhaps you should wait for the Senate inquiry to reveal who knew
what, not make presumptions. Funny that the Govt sent vets to check
out facilities and saw nothing like AA saw. Chris Back knows his
subject on this.

Next we need to know how limited MLA was by their charter, directors
cannot just willy nilly do with money whatever they want.

The Indonesians have made a valid point, nobody ever laid down the
rules. They have now just pulled them out of the air. This is the
first time that any Govt has bothered to do so.

The issue of employment is quite straight forward. If it does not
pay to run cattle on the stations, there won't be any jobs for
anybody, including the meatworks. From helicopter pilots to truckies,
the lot will lose them, including the thousands on Aboriginal stations.
When farmers sold off a hundred million sheep, they
did so because it no longer paid to run them. When the old goose
who is meant to lay those golden eggs croaks it, its a lose lose
all around, quite unlike the intended consequences
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 3 July 2011 1:59:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All