The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ikebal Patel on Sharia law and Australia

Ikebal Patel on Sharia law and Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear Danielle,

You said
*The problem that seems to be emerging is that moderate Muslims don't express themselves publicly when something we find disturbing arises (and undoubtedly they do to). The consequence of this is that the general public see Muslims as a monolithic group, with fundamentalist attitudes.

Moderate Muslims really need to be more forthcoming.
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 6 July 2011 9:30:59 AM*

Danielle,

Your correct in what you say and in a few weeks new leaders will start all over again to do just that. I have been deeply disappointing by Mr Patel and AFIC in the last six years.
Not only as self appointed peak council would that have been nice but I believe there was an absolute responsibility to lead the younger generation in particular.

Hopefully all that will change asap.

We are fortunate to have good people who i think you will be very pleased with. Give it just a little while..

Thanks for your wise comment
Kerry
Posted by Kerryanne, Thursday, 7 July 2011 11:39:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear pelican
*If there are positive aspects to some elements of Sharia Law: citizens.*
The only difference is they usually use their Sharia Law to ask consent for divorce- before finalizing it through our courts.
Cant hurt & makes some of them feel much better. Its a good thing provided its not made law under our laws. Its sort of like when a women could not go on the pill years ago under her church unless the minister agreed. To us silly - but to her important.

**Most Muslims came to this country to escape the worst facets of Sharia Law.** Correct.

* It is already legal and appropriate for people to come to their own arrangements during divorce proceedings.*Correct.

*The Courts only become involved if there are disputes and where arbitration is needed.*Correct

*Sharia Law adds nothing to this and Muslims have as much right as any other citizen to access the secular Australian legal system.*Correct.

*There is no benefit in having different laws for different religions* Correct

It should not be assumed that all of Sharia Law is 'bad' despite much of it working against the rights of women.Correct

You have a very good concept how two worlds can live easily in harmony pelican . Indeed why complicate it.We are free to submit or
not. This is as it should be.
I think you will find Mr Patel will raise this again - just not on Nation TV - then then again.. with Ikebal one might not know whats hes going to come out with next if going by the past is anything to judge by.
Posted by Kerryanne, Thursday, 7 July 2011 11:57:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SPQR

Ah , yes but you see SPOR their are no woman there- which really was the point you missed i think.

So thats means in Australia their motions will not be passed. Just a bunch of boys together and good to see they are using chairs.

The women are possible all busy driving themselves to their lawyers dear:)

Btw not all Muslim men or leading think that way- very few tbo.

cheer
Posted by Kerryanne, Friday, 8 July 2011 12:13:52 AM
*So what ever little slip of the tongue Mr Ikebal Patel made, I think he just didn't read his E-mails:)*

Posted by Quantumleap, Sunday, 3 July 2011 10:36:17 PM

Mr Petal in his leadership of AFIC in my opinion is quite sad. I think he just wants people to like him& maybe thats normal to a degree for all.

However as a leader we need leadership & calm direction. As a matter of fact he does forget to read emails- but! i suspect the excuse he gave media about his demands for Sharia law were- just that.
Posted by Kerryanne, Friday, 8 July 2011 12:29:50 AM
@ KerryAnne

This bit : << Btw not all Muslim men or leading think that way->> sounds highly plausible.

But, with this bit : << very few tbo.>> I think you’re guessing (just like Pelican!)

All you can say with any amount of certainty is that most Muslims you’ve met * SAY* they think that way.

And, some people who've also met a lot of Muslims have good reason to reach a different conclusion:

“Another al Qaeda goal for Islamist governance is “to require a strict application of Shari’a law in every Islamic country.” In Egypt 81 percent said they agreed with this goal. Pakistanis were similar at 76 percent; Indonesians, however, agreed by only a narrow plurality: 49 percent supported the goal (just 14% strongly), while 42 percent disagreed. Compared to 2007 Indonesian support for this goal has dropped 5 points, while among Egyptians those saying they agree strongly has risen 6 points (59 to 65%). In Morocco in late 2006, 76 percent agreed. When asked whether they thought this is an al Qaeda goal, majorities in the three countries asked said that it is: 57 percent in Egypt, 53 percent in Indonesia, and 68 percent in Pakistan (where this understanding has grown 15 points.) In Morocco in late 2006, 74 percent saw strict Shari’a as an al Qaeda goal.”

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf

But one thing is indisputable: Very few women in Saudi Arabia were *driving* to their lawyers…or anywhere else ;-)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/29/saudi-women-drivers-arrested-jiddah?intcmp=239
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 8 July 2011 5:46:02 AM
Kerryanne,

I am intersted in comments that all of Sharia law is not bad. Obviously. However, which laws do you think would benefit the Australian legal system?

Personally, I am against introduction of any religious (or cultural) laws into the Australian legal system, no matter if 'seen' to be beneficial. This is a slippery slope.

I believe Australians should not adopt any law or cultural practices from outside, particularly non-Western. All laws should reflect the wider Australian community; as our democracy does.
Posted by Danielle, Friday, 8 July 2011 1:34:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy