The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australians are ripped off - that's why online buying is good!

Australians are ripped off - that's why online buying is good!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Australians are ripped off - that's why online buying is good!

Ten years ago I came to Australia from Europe. I was shocked that many imported goods are sold in Australia for double the European list price: Electric switch gear, electronic parts as well as books. But it's not the distributors in Australia who make the big margin - the overseas corporates keep the big money.

It is easy to check: All suppliers who provide 60% price reduction for Australian companies have 200% list prices. It became my hobby to cross check Australian prices with European prices to get a fair deal for my company and not just a European discounter price.

But normal Australians are still ripped off buying these products.

A manager of a German company told me once: "Why should we not sell the products double priced if Australians are that stupid to pay it?"

That is slowly changing thanks to the internet and online business.
The Australian retailers should not scream about it but demand fair prices from their overseas suppliers!

If a book has a $35 adhesive label on it and below it shows the UK price of 13 UK Pounds then it is clear why Australians buy books at Amazon and not in the shop. But the business seems to prefer to stick to their high price policy and send their shops into liquidation.

For the first time I was able to buy books at Angus Robertson for a fair price this week - 50% administration discount - the next ones I buy online again.

In Australia books are a luxury - in Europe not.

Is ACCC telling us these facts? No.

No fair go for Australians.

Don't be stupid!

Compare prices!

Get a fair deal!

Or buy online.
Posted by chris_ho, Sunday, 26 June 2011 11:14:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i like books
mainly because to print thenm out costs even more

[lets not forget the printer ink scam]..where these specific...and tiney little cubes..cost more than a litre of ol fashoned toner]

in store my printer cartRAGE..costs 130/150 bucks
on line..via e bay...buy now...
the last ones cost me 25 each

[ok one only got 600 copies...
an other only got 1200 copies]

so clearly they divide the product by weight...
and im only getting 'cheap'..cause they obviously were lighter weight

also i like second hand books
you cant beat $3 bucks a bag
or even 50 cents to $2 bucks a book

online bying isnt a cure/all
[my first purchase of the toner caertRAGE..got over 3000 copies
then with my bulk order i got the 'other'[and then my printer froze up]...

wether it was the 'cheap cartRAGES'...well..who knows

we are being ripped off online as well as in our power bills
going 'online'..dont allways offer the same price in the same area
[computers are too 'clever'...they can divide us into our local postcode specific prices]
Posted by one under god, Monday, 27 June 2011 9:55:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agree we buy regularly off ebay and also direct from overseas suppliers...

we have been caught once on a electronic microscope, where the software did not work that well... but apart from that we have been happy with all the purchases... and pay 25% - 30% the aussie price which, when buying bits and pieces at around say $600 - $800 aussie comes in as a big saving.
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 27 June 2011 10:55:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Chris.Just a few days ago my Toshiba laptop battery spat the dummy.Battery World quoted $179.00 and online $49.00.Both have 12 mth guarntees.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 12:04:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not just the price, it's the range of goods that are available on the global market that make it attractive to me.

There are many things that are simply not available in this country that can be bought with a mouse-click and delivered to your door.

As long as many of our businesses are happy to send their manufacturing or our jobs off-shore, I'm quite happy to follow their example and look out for my own interests as well.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 1:50:33 AM
What your all forgetting is our extreme rental prices in Australia.
I think you'll find most shops would lower their prices if they weren't paying through the roof for the shop front. Everyone knows that Australian property is some of the most expensive in world.
How else do you cover these repayments?
Posted by Dan The Man, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 8:52:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy