The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are Majority's Being Wedged?

Are Majority's Being Wedged?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
What is democracy, is it majority rules .
Is it the loudest does.
We elect governments to,well rule do we not.
On every issue they seem to be more intent on those who shreak the most.
Do majority's drive boat people debates? Animal welfare, carbon tax,read the figures more say man made is changing our world but more do not want to pay.
What is the best form of Democracy.
The all inclusive hear every one, you would think so, But honestly think 80% of us Liberals and Labor think much alike.
And that just maybe our voices are just whispers in comparison to small self interested groups who claim ownership of public opinion.
And use that deadly weapon Political Correctness against the majority.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 24 June 2011 4:45:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is the wanted out come, do we ignore minority views or include them.
Do we bend to them let minority views win often.
I truly understand we should/must be inclusive if we lock minority's out, because we out vote them, we farm devision.
But is every minority view worth inclusion.
I am aware, one here on line now who I admire, good morning Morganzilas.
Says often my views are racist, but are those of SOME minority's not racist too.
We always slip toward the Muslim faith or boat people in such debates.
Aboriginals come next unemployed same sex couples ,greens Labor Liberals is there room for consensus.
Animal Welfare brings near war, few if any do not call for it but minority's chant mindlessly we do not care.
I offer links and posts in the thread the law is an ass, as evidence SOME minority's farm with intent, trouble, in these matters do majority's have a right to say enough?
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 25 June 2011 5:03:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Top of the morning to you too, Belly :)

I agree with you that some minority groups are nothing short of ratbags, (and also that mainstream groups also harbour ragbag individuals).

What is democracy? It means simply 'rule by the people', but there are various versions of how this is achieved, and none are perfect. Personally, I think that our system fails because of its built-in 'winner takes all' aspect, which typically leaves around half the electorate unrepresented in government, and also creates the current situation where both the majors' first priority is to keep the other mob out of government.

We could certainly do better in terms of democracy, for example by amending our voting system to one of multiple-member electorates with proportional representation. This would go a long way towards ensuring representation of minority groups in government at a level commensurate with their representation in the electorate. We could also take a lead from America, where regardless of which party wins the election, government ministries and executive functionaries are appointed according to talent and experience, rather than blind party allegiance.

No doubt there are any number of ways that we can make our system more democratic. What is increasingly obvious is the need for quite radical reform, so that we elect governments that are there for us, rather than the other way around.
Posted by morganzola, Saturday, 25 June 2011 8:40:48 AM
the cure is..*decentralisation*

[get rid of state govts..and councils]
and replace governing authority...by school district*

that opperates locally
while the fed govt acts globally
[fed govt underwrites the local schools

who grant local uses..
of their own local ritches..[common wealth]
giving half the moneies..[if any] to fed...who supports the other LOCAL school diastrict's

in affect governing
is like attending a pary meeting
local issues are resolved by the people who live there

all govt service runs out-of the schools
you want anything to do with giovt process
simply join the class on the subbject....

EVERYTHING govt does
is done,....OUT Of the school...[locally]
all decisions are made by concensus..[locally]
each school sends a local rep to represent them into govt

each govt meeting will be to resolve special issues
and these are decided by those we specificlly send..to specific metings..ONLY CALLED to resolve specific issues

in affect the same person wouldnt sit in on everything
only that they are qualified to decide

[decided by those taking the subject...at their local school]
in affect kids will rule over us

they studdy every topic raised locally
at the local meetings..[broadcast livetime..on the web]
with only locals being heard..

[just like a current party meeting]
only they make their own local laws..

if your not a local..go to your own governing meetings
people must get involved locally..[bottum up..not top down]
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 25 June 2011 10:19:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry morganzola, yours is the most unfair con of all. Sounds nice, but only works for the fringe people.

The electorate always splits into largely yin & yang, left right etc, & the minority exploit their "controlling vote" to their advantage. A quick glance at the disaster that is Tasmania will show this.

Sorry UOG, your model really only almost works, & then only in very small communities.

I have seen it almost work in island communities of up to about 3/400 people, but even then some get very rough treatment in these places. Once a population reaches to a thousand & above you get competing villages, which grow into waring tribes.

I have even seen on atolls, with a number of inhabited islands, all by related people, deadly fighting over fishing rights.

The whole history of the Pacific settlement is one of small settlement on an island growing, & even before getting anywhere near the limit of resources, driving out a portion who had to find a new island.

I think the idea of small self governing groups is bound for tyranny of some, & much fighting.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 25 June 2011 11:27:44 AM
I've said it several times before on OLO, Democracy is the worst kind of dictatorship.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 25 June 2011 12:25:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy