The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > As Julia's lie is costing her in the polls, a plebiscite could restore her legitimacy.

As Julia's lie is costing her in the polls, a plebiscite could restore her legitimacy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All
<< I don't recall having a plebiscite on whether we should send troops to the Middle East>>

Wow! Wobble’s is really environmentally savvy –he’s even recycling Bob Brown's old lines.

And he does have a point, I also cannot recall Howard holding a plebiscite prior to our military involvement in the Middle Eastern --but at least Howard did not explicitly rule it out.

And I do recall Julia saying very clearly: “There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead”

Here it is for those who have short memories:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ju5OnAOq58

But, then, maybe we’re too quick to judge --she might be right!
There is every chance she may not be LEADING the government by the time the carbon tax comes in.
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 20 June 2011 11:28:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear SPQR,

You seem to have overlooked the fact that the Prime Minister has to deal with a Coalition Minority Government and unlike a Majority Government where she would be obliged to keep her election promises -
situations change where other political influences have to be considered. Had Tony Abbott won the election under the Senate control
by the Greens as of July 1st, he would have had to compromise as well
on many issues. No matter who's in power - the problems remain the same.

The Opposition is trying to confuse and intimidate the electorate for political gain. It is unusual that New Zealand has made the first steps towards an ETS whereas Australia which makes frequent critical comments of New Zealand is being left behind. Unless we pull our socks up it has been suggested in the past that we could be heading
to become a third world country.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 20 June 2011 11:47:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wobbles,

I also don't remember anyone promising not to send anyone to the middle east or promising not to introduce IR reform.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/abbott-takes-gamble-on-integrity-card/story-fn6bqpju-1226078142774

An interesting article on wedging the independents:

"he is betting that despite their (completely legitimate) suspicions of being politically corralled, even they will not be able to disagree with the basic proposition that this Government's mandate to introduce a carbon tax is non-existent. Some observers will want to dismiss the national referendum as a cynical stunt.

They should be careful.

While clearly it represents a danger to the Government, it potentially goes directly to an issue much closer to the hearts of the independents - their own commitment to honesty and to genuine independence."

Which is basically saying that given the independents supposed commitment to independence and integrity, their refusal to support a plebiscite will weaken their claim to independence and integrity.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 20 June 2011 11:59:14 PM
Julie Gillard,

From what I heard will be the next PM after the adds they are talking about on Abbott. His so called Christine values have annoyed some very wealthy people. No if Julie makes an election promise to Ban live exports she will rock it in. She wont have to do another thing . The adds showing Tony with screaming animals while he sings in Church will make people think. What type of PM do we want. Julie who stopped it- or Tony the hypocrite. I am sure if the PM listens to the people on just that issue alone she will be re-elected by a mile.
ALP with Julie Gillard as PM & I will bet my house on it.
Posted by Kerryanne, Tuesday, 21 June 2011 12:41:11 AM
Lexi “You seem to have overlooked the fact that the Prime Minister has to deal with a Coalition Minority Government and unlike a Majority Government where she would be obliged to keep her election promises”

I would have thought that is as erroneous as it is simplistic

Being a”minority government – aka “governing without the support of the majority political party”, would suggest she has a greater obligation to adhere to her election promises.

And simply being a minority leader is no excuse for lying and risking the crushing (as it will certainly be) wrath of the electorate
Julia seems hell bent on pushing the labor party back to a position it held in Menzies day (in otherwords the natural party of opposition)

Anyway, the liberals will reverse any carbon tax which this woman decides to foist on an unfriendly electorate when they kick her and her “partners in contempt “(of the electorate) out of the house of reps at the next election

“The Opposition is trying to confuse and intimidate the electorate for political gain.”

The only confision sseems to be among the diminishing few who support Gillard and the swill

Actually Lexi, the strategies of a carbon tax and other “initiatives” promoted by those presenting as a poor masquerade of government, is to push this nation back into the economic realities of more akin to something resembling both 17th century France and Zimbabwe

KerryAnne – I doubt your prophecy for – the last time I looked,

"The thinking electorate" (versus the dingbat activist fringe),

have more regard for their wallet (which holds the money they will keep without a carbon tax) and their Sunday lunch, than the source of the “leather” and “steak” it comes from.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 21 June 2011 1:37:14 AM
It is Winter, A time for Coffs colds and flue.
Australia has been in a political winter for 18 months.
We are inflicted with a fast spreading almost Robotic Virus.
It gets in the the very basic reality section of our mind, and is spreading to our ability to see and understand.
Poor old KerryAnne, pushing her wheel barrow, unaware it is up side down and empty.
Col being himself, snarly passing for comments.
We have forgotten, Tony Abbott his team here, unlike my self, have not once, not in one post,seen past the fraud that is Tony Abbott.
We rarely have plebiscites.
I can not ever, EVER, remember the person calling for one EVER, saying if it is not the result I require I WILL IGNORE IT!
I challenge,yet again, conservatives to post a thread finding fault in your front bench.
In your third grade leader in the wandering away from your party's roots.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 21 June 2011 5:28:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All