The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Role Models. More are gay than you think.

Role Models. More are gay than you think.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
An interesting thing caught my eye this morning watching 9am with David and Kim on the 10 network that was extraordinary. They were interviewing Mr Australia and there was a sub-text which was hysterical. David could hardly contain himself, and Kim was pinching her mouth trying to be polite.

Sorry, bless him, but Mr Australia looked very gay. That is not to say that he is, maybe the old word “camp” is safer to use. The eyebrows were plucked, the lips puckered like a drag queen, and he was very uncomfortable with David. I think there was a mutual tension where David seemed astonished that a “role model” representing Australia ended up being so “camp”.

Mr Australia
http://www.gennaroferra.com/mroz_win

Why should we be surprised? Such images have been on the big screen and the small screen since 1895. You can see some clips of old movies and characters on the following clips.

The Celluloid Closet: bless Vito Russo's wee soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch4O2Nhhu3Q

Quentin Tarrentino loved this genre of gay subtext: particular in “Top Gun”. Warning of Tarrentino’s bad language:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHklGtW3rwU

This is my favourite sub-text series, it kills me every time: ChiPS. Remember them?

ChiPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy9aUSdE1Kg

Then there are the more open “role models” like Paul Lynde. One of the funniest naughty people in show biz.

Paul Lynde
http://www.classicsquares.com/lyndesquares.html

Paul Lynde Halloween Special with Kiss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6-QLJXHCyk

Peter Marshall: During the War of 1812, Captain Oliver Perry made the famous statement, "We have met the enemy and--" What?
Paul Lynde: They are cute.

Peter Marshall: In the "Wizard of Oz," the lion wanted courage and the tin man wanted a heart. What did the scarecrow want?
Paul Lynde: He wanted the tin man to notice him.

One of the greatest promoters of Australian Talent: Nelson Aspen
http://www.nelsonaspen.com/demoreel.html

This morning on Sunrise he announced he was going to do an interview in leather to "rub shoulders" with, what we assume is, a gay actor. Koschy was beside himself.

Forget Mardi Gras. The funniest, most ponderous and heroic gay stuff is right there on U Tube or on Television, especially in sub-text.
Posted by saintfletcher, Friday, 2 March 2007 1:05:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I guess this is a difficult one to make a comment about. I hope some of you are entertained by the U Tube references, at least get a laugh and maybe think.

The questions spiral from what is a postive role model? Does it exist? Role models are important to the development of males. What happens when the role models end up being gay or are in a gay subtext, and you never even noticed?

Is this a problem?

I know some of you want to comment, but you may not quite get the point of this posting just yet.
Posted by saintfletcher, Saturday, 3 March 2007 3:58:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I loathe telstra already, so these advertisements at the end of every forum are just the last straw for me. adios online opinion
Posted by Brownie, Sunday, 4 March 2007 3:27:33 PM
In the Grammar School in which I taught for years, the most popular and most dedicated teachers were gay. These included the Heads of Maths, Music, Art and Chemistry. None of them resembled your sniggering description of “Mr. Australia”. You suffer from the delusion that gays are simpering queens camping it up and plucking their eyebrows, whereas they are usually mentally tougher, and physically as tough as their heterosexual counterparts.
Gays as role models in schools and on the sports field pose no problem to students until adults start making negative comments, and religion rears its ugly head shoving false stereotypes and perverted lies into young people’s heads.
Statistically, gays are lest likely to be paedophiles, less aggressive and abusive, more vocal and witty, less likely to take umbrage, have better classroom control and self control, spend more time with their students and care more about their progress than their heterosexual counterparts. Studies in the U.K. showed that gay men made the best parents. Those who have had loved ones in care know that gay nurses in nursing homes are often the most caring and best loved. Alan Turing, the ‘father’ of the modern computer who saved England from the Nazis was hounded to suicide because he was gay. My students knew this, but still admired him.
Posted by ybgirp, Monday, 5 March 2007 2:40:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I never saw myself as "sniggering".

ouch?

There is a wide universe of LGTB out there cross culturally, I'm quite aware of that.

I had some excellent gay teachers in a selective school too. We all knew and so did the parents. There was no drama about it at all. They laughed about it as well.

Back to Mr Australia, if he read this post, I'm sure he's a big man who has broad shoulders who can see irony rather than malice. He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. But camp as...

This is a bigger issue than some realise that could decide the leadership of this planet. There are homophobic slurs against Presidential candidate John Edwards from Anne Coutler. It could end his political career. Even if he is the straightest candidate for the Whitehouse, the slurs have been made and people believe what they want to believe.

It has nothing to do with being gay, and this was my point.

This has everything to do with mannerisms being misunderstood.

You can have your say on USA Today. I did.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-03-04-columnist-comment_N.htm?csp=34
Posted by saintfletcher, Monday, 5 March 2007 4:57:57 PM
You write: It has nothing to do with being gay... This has everything to do with mannerisms being misunderstood.
The mannerisms are misunderstood because of false stereotyping, homophobia, and the lies of religion that cause misery for millions who are discriminated against, frequently violently, because these stereotypes are taken as truth.
Mr Australia, if he is not gay [or even if he is], will rightly be upset by your implication that he is, because he will then have to suffer what gays suffer... and broad shoulders notwithstanding, it is simply not funny. Australia is an extremely homophobic country once you're outside city ghettoes -- even there at times.
I agree it is amusing how often covert homoerotic scenes go over the heads of the 'straight' community, but that's an 'in' joke we gays enjoy. I do not want you to make heterosexuals aware of this, or they'll stop even that bit of fun. Censorship is on the rise in Australia, along with intolerance. Spend your energy correcting the harm done by vicious stereotypes, rather than perpetuating them in the guise of amusement.
Posted by ybgirp, Monday, 5 March 2007 5:12:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy