The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is sex better without religion?

Is sex better without religion?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
I had to laugh when I read this article in yesterdays newspaper about a study that showed that Atheists felt less guilty about having sex than their religious counterparts!
(And no, I don't class myself as an Atheist. I am a skeptic :))

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/lifestyle/a/-/health/9481357/sex-better-without-religion/

After studying the contents I decided that maybe the people who had never never been exposed to any religious life or instruction would therefore be the most relaxed/least guilty after having had sex?

Surely those people that were religious once, but were now Atheists would still have some residual 'guilt' at having had some 'naughty' sex that had previously been put forward by most religious advisors
as only being 'allowed' for married couples wanting to have children?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Suze.
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 21 May 2011 3:15:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes of course, you go twice as long without God looking over your shoulder:)...lol

With so many sins to deal with, its a wonder they breed at all:)

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Saturday, 21 May 2011 4:04:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suzie I don't know what the numbers are but for a lot of christains sex isn't just for having kid's. Maybe the willingness to experiment or be expressive about what they want might be inhibited for some but most of the christians I knew treated sex as an important relationship component.

There are a lot of value judgements in the thing. I suspect that having had more than one partner can improve peoples skill's but many christians would be quite certain that having had other partners takes something away from sex. Probably both are true at times depending on the character of the people involved.

Some of the issues are cultural as well, cultural values might linger longer in some churches than in the mainstream because of the teaching models involved.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 21 May 2011 4:46:42 PM
That was a very nice post by R0bert, wasn't it......but some of the side effects of sexual repression as observed in human beings include lack of self-confidence, low self-esteem, depression, suicidal tendencies, and higher aggressive behavior. A child who has been taught to believe that sex is dirty and bad will often mature to become an adult who is self-conscious about his body and overwhelmed with guilt when the natural desire to breed arouses him. Adults who are restricted in their sexual inclinations will often experience frustration that can result in either suicidal actions or violence towards others.

It should come as a surprise to no one that societies that have more relaxed legislature over sexual matters enjoy a lower violent crime rate and are not often seen butting heads with other societies on the war field. This phenomenon was best documented in a study of one of our closest relatives, the Bonobo ape.

Bonobos, closely related to chimpanzees and also sharing more than 98 percent of the human genetic profile, are a species of primate which uses sexual activity not only for reproduction but also for social bonding. Bonobos have been observed to be indiscriminate in their sexual relations in regards to age or gender, and also are considered to be one of the more peaceful groupings of animals on the planet. Unlike chimpanzees and other animals that have a dominant-male or a strictly monogamous structure, the Bonobos are not often observed being aggressive towards one another over food, mates, or territory.

At the end of the day, were all human to the bone:)

I must talk this con-vo to the next dinner meeting.

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Saturday, 21 May 2011 5:01:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlqsaxL-wCw

Yes....dont we copy some of our closes relatives:) The female in this spices rules the roost, or the boy dont get any, however with religious sex.....the same rules apply.

The self-evidences is quite clear......Dont mess with evolution:)....we just might make a mess of things.

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Saturday, 21 May 2011 5:12:06 PM
Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc, Sir....You need to be a little more tact-full with your rightful stance....since we are all in the same soup. Thoughts will vary depending on the births that the parents can only have/give, so if there's not an equal playing field of all thought, the destruction of OLO will become all of what we don't want.

We all spread our objections here, with the one's we don't agree with...........but at the end of the day, when the ship is sinking, we are all bothers in ARMS.

PEACE.

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Saturday, 21 May 2011 5:39:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy