The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Welfare reform

Welfare reform

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All
Yet again welfare groups are unhappy with proposed changes.
I bow with pride to those who won welfare in this country.
And for the younger ask they look at how bad things had been before it.
I remember ,even in my childhood far different ways, lessor ways hungry got a feed.
But what was the original plan?
Is it so wrong to say waste should not be part of the system.
If we stopped wast we could give more to the true needy, but the I pay my tax's so I want welfare group still exists.
And welfare groups focus not on true needy but not debating.
Surely we need a new look at Social Welfare?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 23 March 2011 2:43:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hope we can talk about the subject without taking sides.
I am talking about need not greed, and back totally the idea of welfare.
I wounder how many know the current move to get some movement in disability pensions is not aimed at sending the blind or crippled to work.
From the 1970,s it is clear some on unemployment want to be there until they get a promotion, to disability pension.
Not all, not most but some.
Some got there, no need to look for work no need to report.
Some Doctors have always been willing to help, to achieve a few more regular clients.
We could talk of alternatives to long term unemployment , question what jobs can be put aside for such, and for those on disability support who can and want to work.
We should not use emotional thoughts about starvation and such to avoid a real look at all welfare.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 23 March 2011 6:34:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Strange coincidence this subject arising today. Only on sunday I spoke with an australian woman who lived in Bali for 20 years, about single australian mothers living there rather comfortably on australian welfare.
That's just wrong. Also wrong is that an australian pensioner can not access his/her pension after three months out of the country when it would afford them a dignified existence in their later years. I'd prefer living as a pensioner in Australia to be affordable so people would not need to seek a living in cheaper countries.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 23 March 2011 7:36:33 PM
Under international agreements other country's pay pensions to their nationals who live here too.
And I see no wrong in that, some would love to live in Bali.
I do want better outcomes from welfare for every one.
Long ago this country tried to put funds away to pay welfare, it failed in part.
Superannuation offers a chance to get on top of future retirement costs.
I needed my first payout to buy my first home.
We should not stop that.
But with pay outs in some cases being over a million dollars, and ability to put away for another generation funds while receiving pensions we are not being fair dinkum..
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 24 March 2011 4:42:32 AM
Welfare essential...abuse of the system threatens it's future.

The Disability Pension abuse, is a joke and will lead to general disaffection if not overhauled.

Cheers,

Ralph
Posted by Ralph Bennett, Thursday, 24 March 2011 9:26:19 AM
Ralph all too true, as an ALP activist and unionist you may expect me to not agree.
However we must get better from welfare.
Here just maybe, is a chance to replace public servants with some thing better.
I think, on evidence of my own eyes, no person trying to convert from long term dole to disability fails to do so.
Not targeting folk, no intention to stop welfare, but to stop waste.
I know of 35 year olds who never held a job.
I saw a local get his first at age 26, and leave within a month, said it interferes with his life style.
A work before welfare for every fit person would if not killed by public servants stop a lot, not current scheme.
A job put aside for every disability person who wants it would be welcomed by most of them.
I target the smarty, the never want to work types who hide in disability areas.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 24 March 2011 12:31:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy