The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Highest cost in the world for a second rate NBN. We need a productivity review NOW!

Highest cost in the world for a second rate NBN. We need a productivity review NOW!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
"FOR years, Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has been citing South Korea to justify his National Broadband Network.

A report this week by The Economist's Economic Intelligence Unit ranked Conroy's NBN plan poorly against top-ranked South Korea, Conroy claimed that comparing Australia with South Korea was like comparing "apples with oranges".

This typifies that strategy that Conroy has consistently employed to defend his NBN: when comparisons (no matter how misleading) help your case, use them -- but when they don't, dump on them and anyone making those comparisons. Such hypocrisy is truly galling. This time around, Conroy is actually right on one thing: it is indeed an "apples and oranges" comparison. But that's never stopped him comparing Australian and South Korea before."

With the estimated costs continually ramping up, and the time table stretching out, it looks as though this will define Labor even more than the BER waste.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 13 February 2011 5:45:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not because I am biased, not because it is ALP policy.
Not because Shadow Minister says this.
Not because I ever use the net for gaming or ever will.
I want the NBN.
This mornings quoted polls,show strange only selective quotes will be posted here, others want it too, and they want the crisis tax
My old copper phone lines can not give half the best speeds we have now.
After rain we can not use our phone for at least a day.
Not enough of us live here in this hilly area to ever see NBN and radio is only on one server here.
I do not want it for gaming, have a life with out wasting it,but I support the NBN.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 14 February 2011 4:53:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
my old copper line
that I PAID FOR
stands unsused..presently

soon it shall be legally stolen..!
im left with this ABSURD moblie-modum

when the copper/line
could be hooked in ..PERMANTLY to my server

they sold off spectrum
now they shall be giving away
the copper line ..it cost the earth ..to put in

selling that
..i and others paid for
so the shareholder's.. who stole tell-icom..[tell-stra]
can get cents in the dolar dividend

the media got their high def
to keep control of the spectrum

but all i want is the copper line
UNRESTRICTED..into my home ..so i can watch basic tv

lets expand this topic to the scam...enabled by govt collusions
of digetal divide..

i cant recieve digetal ...in these suburban hills

but even that was stolen
add-in ..that my smokes have doubled
and the latest is on that ..that it looks like
i been scammed ..simply trying to buy toobacco

its time to say enough

LEAVE THE LINES IN THE GROUND
BACKWAY ..FROM ..MY COPPER PIPELINE TO THE WORLD

its bad enough you took my silver/coins
and gave me nickle/coin

you took my copper/coins
but now leave OUR copper-lines in the ground
and simply hook THEM..into a server ..who dosnt charge me
15 bucks per gig
or limit my downloads ..to QUATER a gig per month

i cant even..watch basic tv ..on the web
[and why shoulf all tv ..become pay tv?]

rot in hell..
you govt/member's ..colluding treason
as well as theft..!

to hell with the sharholder
serve the CON-sunmers ..for a change

and get rid of bankfees
get rid of gst

bring back DEATH-DUTIES
bring in transaction-tax

now

its time ..we all ..walked like egyptions
Posted by one under god, Monday, 14 February 2011 6:48:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good for you Belly, you don't mind $47bn being squandered, as long as you get what you want.

Apparently your views are not so shared.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/in-depth/backlash-looms-over-nbn-rollout/story-e6frgaif-1226005390341

"A survey by The Australian of 12 councils near NBN test sites found the majority reporting a mixture of apathy, scepticism and hostility towards the NBN among residents.

Mayors said their constituents either did not want the scheme or thought the money could be better spent elsewhere. All but one thought the installation of overhead cables, 31,000km across the country, would spark an outcry.

Some of the strongest opposition was reported by councils in northeast NSW, in and around the electorates of independent federal MPs Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott, who have argued vigorously in favour of the NBN."

And given Labor's plummeting popularity:

"The latest Herald/Nielsen poll shows the Coalition leading Labor on a two-party preferred basis by 54 per cent to 46 per cent, a swing of 4 per cent since the August election."

This is going to be an election winning issue for the coalition as the can of worms slowly opens.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 14 February 2011 6:48:58 AM
This is not just for the people, this is for infastructure. This will allow the country to spread out instead of grouping around a couple of city,s. Polls are only good if they favour your biased opinion.
The election being split 50/50 puts polls out of contention. Julia said all promises are off after the hung parliament result.
Our dear SM must have disrupted sleep worrying about whats two word Tony is going to say next.
Posted by a597, Monday, 14 February 2011 7:44:54 AM
a597:>> This is not just for the people, this is for infastructure.<<

Infrastructure that will cost twice the market rate is the primary issue, not whether it is the best solution to our needs, as it is apparent it is not. I remind you of $800 three bedroom house insulation jobs that all cost $1500 (the maximum subsidy) until the subsidy fell to $1200, and then all the $800 jobs cost $1200. Or the $120 per square building costs that we paid $350 per square for in the BER rip off.

a597:>> This will allow the country to spread out instead of grouping around a couple of cities.

Tell me puppet a597, given that the majority of coastal land quite rightly is tied up as national park or green zones where we will we build these new cities? In the Eastern states you only have the other side of the Great Dividing Range as an option, and the problem is as it has always been the management of water that has hindered expansion.

Neither side of politics has a vision beyond the next election; they are bereft of talent and commitment to Australia. But one side has a track record of leaving a deficit when they get turfed out and the other a surplus. So no talent on either side but one is fiscally able and the other traditionally fiscally disabled. Just to be clear, your Labor mob could not manage a chook raffle in the local pub, the other mob can.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 14 February 2011 9:13:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy