The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tim Costello; every time I see you on TV, I feel proud to be Australian.

Tim Costello; every time I see you on TV, I feel proud to be Australian.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Agir, please tell us "precisely" what Tim Costello does with the money he earns.
Posted by courageous, Friday, 11 February 2011 9:33:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Possibly Tim does what he says, thus the title I gave to this thread – the feeling of pride to be Australian.

Likely Tim does what he says based on the reality of money in the 21st century in conjunction with money being both the harm and the solution. The money is not a knife in Tim’s back. However, some people have a money hang up and will find fault in all people who are assisting the poor by ignoring the reality that all people who can help must have money to help.

Some people see the best answer to help the poor is by using poor country methods rather than rich country methods due to ideology – us and them.

I do not believe a man (or woman) can help the poor of the third world by wearing rags. I am happy to be wrong.

I do not know about the politics surrounding Mr Tim Costello, but mighty am I in claiming I feel the strength of the quality of Australia when this man comes into my lounge on the box when compared with the usual news violence and nastiness.
Posted by madcowmess, Saturday, 12 February 2011 12:56:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Courageous..I don't have a clue.. for all I know he might recycle 80% of it back into poverty related projects.... which of course would be great..... To not say anything about it would also be very true to scripture.

My beef.. is that he openly and publicly criticized and vilified a high profile leader of a charity... and then.. while posturing himself as a battler for the poor.. takes on a job which pays him $250k ish a year.

I also take issue with the fact that WORLD VISION was begun as a "Christian" charity...and that means it should follow biblical guidelines.. as Paul testifies..he did tentmaking and other income producing work so he would NOT repeat NOT cause a financial burden on the Churches he served.

LEXI...pay what he is worth ? I note the man speaking is also a head of a 'charity' and he is in the same article with Costello claiming that 100k to 150k for a ceo is at the LOW end of the market.

Market ?...what "market" \

Cleary is in the same swamp as Costello in my view.

Look at this:

Compared to other ministers in the Uniting Church, he's certainly being overpaid.

Wesley Mission in Sydney claims its chief earns around $36,000 plus accommodation and car, while the national head of the church is on $50,000.

The head of the Brotherhood of St Laurence in Melbourne, Father Nic Francis, earns $75,000 a year plus a car and housing assistance.

He's in charge of an organisation with a turnover of $35 million a year, 600 staff and 1,000 volunteers

duh.... this puts Cleary and Costello's comments in perspective eh.

If Tim Costello were to make a public disassiation of WV from anything Christian...that might work for him. Then he can get a BIGer salary from the donations of people thinking they are helping 'the poor'.

Sorry..I'm not buying the 'Costello pay apologists' line.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Saturday, 12 February 2011 9:38:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AGIR:

You're simply stirring (as usual). I'm just not buying any of it.
Re-read my previous post - as to why not.
Moral indignation is in most cases 2% moral, 48% indignation and 50% envy.

As Winston Churchill said, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 12 February 2011 10:18:38 AM
Thankyou agir, for finally admitting, and only when asked, that you haven't a clue what Tim Costello does with his wage.

Now, do you know what the charity leader who Tim Costello critisiced did with "his" wages?

Of course you don't.

Conclusion = you've been taking an opportunity to anonymously personally attack, behind the safety of your computer, Tim Costello.

You've attempted to slander Tim Costello by saying he's "posturing himself as a battler for the poor", with all the personal insinuations that implies. I invite you to front Tim Costello, face to face in the presence of witnesses, and make the same accusation.

You've also implied in your last post that if Tim Costello disassociates World Vision from Christianity "then he can get a BIGer salary from the donations of people thinking they are helping the poor". That personally slanderous, anonymous attack on Tim Costello suggests that Tim Costello's motivation for doing his good works is to get a large salary and that if he disassociates World Vision from Christianity, well ...... he'd be happy because his salary would be a "BIGer salary". I invite you to front Tim Costello, face to face in the presence of witnesses, and repeat your accusation.

Agir, you are a cowardly individual given succour by the anonymity of the internet. What is your "real" motivation behind your personal slander of Tim Costello?

Agir, may I suggest you start behaving more like Jesus Christ and less like Lucifer.
Posted by courageous, Saturday, 12 February 2011 2:51:22 PM
Dear Courageous... you are very bold also... same anonymity.

You seem to be missing the point here.

It doesn't MATTER what Tim does with his salary.. he might give heaps of it back... but...the issue is..HIM criticizing another charity leader and then... accepting withOUT qualification or apology to the other leader, for his own words which are on the public record.

It is my "opinion" that Costello is disconnecting World Vision from the faith he claims, by very simple argument.. "Biblical Principle"
and if you think I don't have the balls to go nose to nose with Tim on this issue.. you obviously don't know me.

If Tim can 'slander' as you put it...another Christian Charity head "I was stunned..shocked..yada yada" then he AFFIRMS the very Biblical arguments I'd use to him... then..I think it is entirely in order for him to cop a bit of flack too.

Did TIM know what that charity leader did with HIS pay when he humiliated and attacked him well?

There is a vast difference between slander and criticism based on the public record. (read up on it)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Sunday, 13 February 2011 6:54:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy