The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why is God?

Why is God?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All
How many times have I heard a theist query: “if there is no God, what is the point to it all?”
To which I reply “if there is a God, what is the point of it all?”
This is a simple 'what if' game. Let's say for the moment that God does exist, and that It created us.
Why?
I have never bothered to count to 1,000 just to make sure there wasn't a tiny flaw in the system, somewhere. Once I cottoned on to the idea that it was just a simple pattern endlessly repeated, I was totally confident the system 'worked'. In other words, if one knows the outcome of an experiment, beyond any doubt, why perform the experiment?
So my question is, if there is a God, why did It create us? What can we do for God, that It can't do for itself?
Posted by Grim, Friday, 4 February 2011 6:04:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How many times have I heard a theist query: “if there is no God, what is the point to it all?”

Do I hear the sounds of the tiniest fiddle playing...this is now the clear signs that religious people have sermonized that they are in fact, alone on this planet like all the rest of us.

Congratulations, by moving on to the next step of human evolution.

"Whats the point to it all"! Get up off your arses and repair the world, that in your belief systems 'tells you that the great Creator made it all, just for you.

I know God said go forward and use the land I made for you, and exploit it, but use some commonsense.......I don't think you were supposed to take that literally.

BLUE
Posted by Deep-Blue, Friday, 4 February 2011 7:25:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Grim, why is anybody's GUESS.

Why are we the only creature on Earth with a consciousness that is the core question to my mind? What does a consciousness give us in the survival stakes, nothing? All other creatures are focused on procreation and survival of the species. Yet if we willed it we could become extinct by our own volition within a generation. We understand the mechanism of procreation and can make a decision against it, animals cannot.

For example we understand "tomorrow" in a fashion that the squirrel does not, even though the squirrel puts food away for the winter there is no understanding of anything except the present but with a mechanism to ensure the survival of the species by storing away food for the lean season. This is not a conscious decision it is a programmed response to regular environmental change.

God or no God we are so vastly different from the life forms that we share this earth and most of our DNA with. Why?
Posted by sonofgloin, Friday, 4 February 2011 7:27:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If there is a creator, then he has placed us on an insignificant piece of rock subject to asteroid strikes, supernova and lethal solar radiation. This piece of rock is a boiling mass of red hot lava with a crust that is about 5% thick which results in earthquakes volcanoes and tsunamis.
"The creator" was not very clever or thoughtful and appears to be a complete moron for someone so awesome. Either that or he is maniacally malevolent. These are the only two options. A complete idiot or a megalomaniac - take your pick.
Posted by ponde, Friday, 4 February 2011 7:32:30 AM
Interesting Question.

To which I reply “if there is a God, what is the point of it all?”

Werner Erhard, founder of EST training, adopted an approach to reconstructing the human organism as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f17cu-TS-Tk

Before you dismiss this bloke as a crackpot.. realize this.

He was just one of around 200 organizations offering similar 'deconstruction/reconstruction' in the 70s

His ideas were closely related to the radical psychoanalysts who followed Freud's enemy "Wilhelm Reich".

Freud's daughter anna hated Reich. She was a virgin, and promoted the Freudian idea that our primal urges should be supressed or controlled.

Reich took the opposite approach. "Let our primal desires out"

Anna Freud succeeded in getting Reich expelled from the International Psychoanalytical Society. He was eventually jailed and his books and papers burned on state order. (usa)

REICH...down, but not out. His ideas were resurrected by those behind the EST and other radical psychoanalytical movements. (Fritz Perl is one)

BACK TO WERNER. "The objective of ES training is to go down through layer after layer after layer to the last layer....where they realize it's all meaningless" he says 'there is one more layer'... "When you realize that 'realizing' it's all meaningless (existentialism's endpoint) you have a total freedom to rebuild yourself"

So...to the original question. "What is the point of it all?"

NO GOD... there is no point.. meaningless..empy.. vaccuum.. do what when and how you like.(and to whom)

GOD.... Psalm 8:1ff

LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
in the heavens
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 4 February 2011 7:43:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
sonofgloin,
Good post!
We were created in His image - yet we behave as though he doesnt exist. When we fully imitate his pure and creative character we will know the purpose of our existence. It is about serving each other to the best of our current ability, rather than merely serving ourselves. Life is about sacrifice for the betterment of others.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 4 February 2011 7:44:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy